• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Horses' Teeth - Desert Vernal Pool

hydrophyte

Horses' Teeth - Desert Vernal Pool

This project is subject to change, but I have some hardscape in the tank and a few ideas.

For another recent build I used a sandstone slab that I just found to be very dramatic and appealing. So I decided to try something similar in a different enclosure. The general idea is to represent the unique biota and atmosphere of a desert vernal pool. I have a few specific things in mind.

The tank is a UNS 60S (600mm X 360mm X 180mm) on a DIY stand.

27-II-24-Horses-I.jpg

Initially I hoped to find a single large, flat slab at the landscape supplier yard, but nothing like that of the right size materialized. But I did manage to find a few of these more blocky, but naturally-weathered pieces. The scale isn't really correct at all, but I thought that these two together made a nice representation of a desert butte setting.

27-II-24-Horses-V.jpg

This will look more convincing with some more gravel of different sizes, especially around the bases of the stones. I also have some ideas for botanicals and other decorations to reinforce the desert ecosystem theme.

27-II-24-Horses-IV.jpg

Submerged aquatic macrophytes are not especially representative for vernal pools—it's a difficult environment for them—but there are species of marginal semi-aquatic or wet-soil plants that specialize here. So I'm using a riparium planting instead. While not vernal pool species, I hope these plants I've rounded up can represent the general appearance. This is Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan', Hygrophila 'Araguaia' and Pogonatherum crinitum. These are also subject to change, but I got them divided and potted up tonight.

27-II-24-Horses-VIII.jpg

I'm using this new style of riparium planter. This is a small, compact design that should hide pretty well in this tank.

27-II-24-Horses-VI.jpg

27-II-24-Horses-IX.jpg

That's it for now. I'll get these in the tank and try to do an update pretty soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
I'm still reshuffling tanks here. I opted to move the Green Lake, New York biotope out of the 24" X 24" shallow and put this concept in there instead. I think this is a better use of that nice sandstone slab.

No livestock yet, but I added some nice leaf litter botanicals and also got the ripple generator running better. Here's a quick Instagram reel.

70C86AF2-A7B9-4B34-B7A1-E5574831F7BB.JPG

7CC90F4F-3193-4C8C-AF33-D7FE8B3D8D61.JPG

E3AB2985-4149-4743-A44F-27D17A3BDEFE.JPG

EE65310B-432F-4D26-B148-0E7CB5779CB8.JPG

Last edited:
Back