• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hope they don’t expect me to pay

Leroy4bz

Got a phone call from my from my water company to say its showing in the last 6 month we have used 2 million litres of water:oops:my wife says ”we do have 3 fish tanks”:p:pshe’s then says ”it must be a fault with the meter” to which they say “no they are very reliable”. I think there is a company somewhere near us that uses millions of litres of water, thats just got a bill for a 3 bed semi.

Got a phone call from my from my water company to say its showing in the last 6 month we have used 2 million litres of water:oops:
LOL Maybe stop doing 5 water changes a day?

Well, an average household tap at nominal pressure will give about 6-8 liters per minute (50-60 PSI). If you run the tap for 6 months (6 x 30 x 24 x 60 ) thats 260000 minutes times 6 liters. That’s ~1.5 million liters of water and 2 million if it’s 8 liters per minute .…

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Unfortunately any leak that happens once it enters your property boundary is the home owners responsibility.
We had a leak at work and were apparently using 30,000 L per night in the 12hrs the factory was closed. After much argument with the water company we employed, at our cost an investigation team who confirmed the leak. After getting the leak fixed, again at our cost the water company took readings for 6 months usage and then re adjusted the bills from the previous period when the readings were clearly at fault.

So hopefully @Leroy4bz this is just an error with the billing, or a faulty meter. Otherwise assuming the water company will investigate and fix the issue might not be a solid plan.

Who-is-Responsible-For-Water-Leak-1024x579.jpg

Unfortunately any leak that happens once it enters your property boundary is the home owners responsibility.
Same here... however if a leak is confirmed and found to be of no fault of the property owner (even if its his responsibility) I would expect some leniency from the water company. As I calculated above, 2 million liters of water is certainly possible over a 6 month period but I find it unlikely such a leak would go unnoticed for such a long time - loss of water pressure, flooding etc. would be obvious indicators - 2 million liters of water is a lot - it's almost equal to the volume of an olympic sized swimming pool!. My bet is that it's a faulty reading or meter or merely a billing error.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
You'd be surprised, they reckon about 3 billion litres of water is lost daily in the UK via leaks.
Geez! At least according to this source , in the US the estimated loss of treated drinking water is 23 billion liters per day (6 billion US gallons) - a lot worse than the UK relative to population size. Crazy!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back