DIY Project home made lighting stand's hints & tips

Mark Evans

Expert
Graeme Edwards said:
Mark, can I ask what was your line of thinking to make it such a hight? My first instinct would be to have it just high enough. But i wondered what your thoughts are?
you may be aware, this stand carries my 60cm, which is only 36cm deep. I took this into consideration. firstly i've put 150w of MH lighting over a 60. I'm confident in my ability in growing plants, but not that confident.

this is where the height comes into play. until i get stable conditions within my newly set up tank and find out where the "sweet spot" is for the MH lamp, then I'll cut the vertical tubes to height. i don't want it to be too low and have to buy new supports in the future. MH lighting is new territory for me.

i've changed the title so it more a public post where anyone can add there points of view. :D

samc

iv made a light stand for mine the other day with my pipe bender and have used copper and primed and painted it i might post a pic of it later if any1 is interested

oh and im a plumber so the bending is alright for me but if any1 wants a go i can tell you how. as if your using one piece you need to get the bends centre

Steve Smith

I'm going to be putting together a very similar stand soon :) Bought most of the bits, just need chrome tubing and some 15mm plastic tubing to complete the parts list.

I've stickied this as I think it's awesome :thumbup:

sanj

Doh! if i only saw this a couple of months ago. Although i did see Jason Baliban's DIY job which is what I used to show the metal worker what i wanted. Hmm... could have done it myself.

gillo45

Thanks guys I was with eddy and was just About to fork out on an ADA stand but you guys and this website is saving me ALOT of money cheers !

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
Staff member
reviving an old thread...

so i wanted to do this with 22mm chrome copper, went to the builders merchants and for 2 x 2m chrome pipe and 2 x 90 bends the bill was £86!!!! This is with a trade account discount!! Copper is crazy price now.
Had a second plan of 10mm steel rod bent to size, went to the ironmonger and bought it for £37, hung the halide only for it to bow in the middle which looked crappy...
So went with the naturalaquario.com 90cm at a cost of 80 euros :)

Think if you still want to DIY it then wardrobe rail is a possibility if you can get the bends figured out.... maybe this is what mark used originally????

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crazy_Walrus DIY Led strip lighting? Hardware & DIY 3