DIY Project High flow DIY reactor - now with video

jagillham

Blatant plug - I'm selling my 20" housing as I'm not going to get around to doing this any time soon :)

It's in the sales section for anybody who is interested :)

Wookii

Well don't get rid of it yet because I am still working on a more efficient design ......

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I'm looking at possibly building one of these reactors, based around a 20" housing shown here: http://www.chemsoldirect.co.uk/20-clear-bowl-3-4-inc-wrench-bracket

wtds1053_1.jpg

Did the vortex vein you created work John (@foxfish ), as I am thinking of doing the same thing. Do you think the wide 20" housing shown above will work well, or would I be better with a narrower housing so there is more water pressure pushing the CO2 around the outside of the inner outlet tube?

BoneyT

hi @foxfish Could you let me know where you got the elbow joints from connecting the filter to the 21mm pipe fittings? I am trying to search for them and having a hard time finding anything, thank you.

foxfish

Boney, you should be able to find 21.5mm elbows in any B&Q or similar store, it is just standard kitchen sink overflow pipe and very common.
The threaded fittings are also standard overflow fittings, generally used as a tank connector.
So first is a tank connector screwed in with sealing tape, then a short piece of pipe then a elbow fixed with solvent glue.

BoneyT

Thank you @Wookii and @foxfish I have looked on the Homebase and B&Q websites but not had much look... I will go and have a browse in the store at the weekend, looking at your initial pictures I couldn't figure out how it was connected. Solvent is the answer!

foxfish

Yes solvent glue but you have to make sure you buy solvent weld pipe and fittings, in the last few years there is also a soft plastic push fit product and that is not what we want.
If you go to a B&Q ... best ask a staff member for solvent weld pipe.
To be honest I buy all my plastic from a “over the counter “ plumbing outlet.

BoneyT

This was my first thought, and I was looking through the Screwfix catalog, this seemed full of either Brass or push fit items only. Theres also a Wolseley a few miles down the road from me so I can always go there if im stuck