• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everyone, I'm starting a project!

PiddleMouse

I have decided to try my hand at aquascaping a new home for my axolotl, Mavis :) (My real name is Anne by the way, but 'PiddleMouse' holds a certain kind of class that boring 'Anne' never will, dont you agree? :D )
Anyway, my project! Mavis is currently in a very dull, but well looked after 30 x 12 x 12 inch tank. So, I have brought my 36 x 12 x 15 inside and am all geared up for 'Project PiddleMouse, Nice New Axi House'. I have bought a bag of play sand from Argos, some plants (no clue what they are, will get some pics loaded, but they are from the aquarium shop) 2 moss balls, a nice resin bridge/hideaway type thingummy, a very pretty spindly piece of driftwood, and a nice background, a natural rocky/boulder type picture. Plants have have a very mild bleach wash and are now in normal water, half the sand is soaking and I keep rinsing, and I'm all in a twist because I am beyond excited! I think I will get a bag of black sand and create a bit of contrast. I'll need to make little walls won't I so it doesn't all blob together. So, thats the project.
Aside from that, I have run my own self funded animal rescue and sanctuary and have done for over 25 years now. It used to be loads bigger than it is now, but older age plus the unfortunate onset/early stages of Huntingtons disease have kind of changed that a bit. I still have around 40 budgies, a massive rescue project in 2016, they are all terminally ill, or carriers of a vicious, incurable avian disease. This particular rescue started off as 7 desperate little birds, then I was asked if I would take the entire flock, told it was 19 in total, but no! 51 needy, sick little birds arrived. I cried, panicked, pulled myself together and somehow made it work. I also have 5 rabbits, all rescues/unwanteds, plus I nurse injured/sick wild birds and then start the rehabilitation process to prepare them for release back to their God given wild. Oh, and I have Mavis too of course! And that is me in a nutshell, albeit a very big coconut shell. I will shut up now lol! Thank you for allowing me to join you!

Thank you Tim, I'm enjoying looking round and reading and bit by bit learning too! My chin has nearly hit the floor with some of the very experienced posts, this is one almighty complex and highly skilled hobby isn't it! I feel like I've stepped in to a world of pure genius and science!

Haha...it can get a bit involved. But you're right it's a strange combination of art, design, science, natural history, animal husbandry and horticulture to name but a few elements. I guess that's why many of us find it so absorbing :)

Haha...it can get a bit involved. But you're right it's a strange combination of art, design, science, natural history, animal husbandry and horticulture to name but a few elements. I guess that's why many of us find it so absorbing :)
I think it will be really good for me having this to focus on. I used to love sketching and painting and doing arts and crafts and such like, but the Huntingtons is really affecting my control of my hands quite often now, so those things have bitten the dust really, I can barely write my own name legibly now which is just par for the course, one of those things :) But this, I think this is doable at the moment! I'm made up :woot::happy:

Hi Anne, welcome to the forum, what colour and age is Mavis?
Hi Foxfish, thank you for the welcome :) Mavis is a leucistic axolotl, and she is about 6 months old. I'm absolutely enchanted by her. I'm going to have to watch her weight a bit I think though, she is just starting to look a little bit tubby. Here's a picture of her (pre-tubbiness ;) ) 20171125_192007.png

I used to keep & breed them when I was young, we even had them living in the garden pond!
More recently I stayed in a hotel in Koi Samui in Thailand & it was called the 'Axolotl Resort' I did not see any Axolotls & I never found out why it was called that!

I used to keep & breed them when I was young, we even had them living in the garden pond!
More recently I stayed in a hotel in Koi Samui in Thailand & it was called the 'Axolotl Resort' I did not see any Axolotls & I never found out why it was called that!
The poor things are practically extinct in their natural habitat now aren't they :( Far too many of our earth neighbours being wiped out because of greed, selfishness, the need to claim and change/destroy so much of what should never, ever be ours. Regarding the pond, I have actually wondered about that :) I love just watching her though, plus I would be outside day and night with a torch checking she was ok :D

Thank you Tim, I'm enjoying looking round and reading and bit by bit learning too! My chin has nearly hit the floor with some of the very experienced posts, this is one almighty complex and highly skilled hobby isn't it! I feel like I've stepped in to a world of pure genius and science!

Wait until you try and get your head around pressurized co2! I've been putting it off for 3 years and now finally I've read a few bits and bobs and man it's going to take a lot of learning to properly understand the science behind it all.

If you do a journal I'll probably follow along.

Anyway welcome and hope your ok Anne. :)

Wait until you try and get your head around pressurized co2! I've been putting it off for 3 years and now finally I've read a few bits and bobs and man it's going to take a lot of learning to properly understand the science behind it all.

If you do a journal I'll probably follow along.

Anyway welcome and hope your ok Anne. :)
Thank you Smells Fishy! I've been reading a bit about the pressurized co2, that was one of the things that made my chin hit the floor :lol: The whole aquascaping thing is so complex, way more than I ever imagined! I think it takes quite a genius mind to fully understand, especially if you are going in to it fully and in depth. I actually won't be following that path, but I do want to learn a lot more than I know at the moment about the subject, and this is definitely the place to do it! I have actually started a journal Smells Fishy, although it is far from the awe-inspiring journals that many here share. I was convinced that my first scape would be amazing, whoops! It was however, an amazing reality slap when when 'wonderful' scape started to slip and slide before my very eyes :lol::lol::lol: After calling it some very imaginative and ungodly names as I stood there glaring at it, the laughter took over at the ridiculousness of my own 'amazing' design.
Stage 2 will be starting shortly :D :thumbup:

Back