• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi all, new member based in the durham area

mbezik

Seedling
been keeping fish for over 20 years but never really got into the whole plant thing other than a few unsuccessful attempts resulting in shabby melted plants. just over a year ago i decided to give it a go again and i got hooked, to the point my previous addiction to apistos has now been overtaken by my love of planted aquaria. at the moment i have 5 tanks with most being used to house apisto breeding pairs or grow out tanks for fry, i have a juwel rio 180 that i am using as my main planted setup. im using flourite sand and pressurised co2 and dosing using the EI method with dry ferts.
im planning on adding another planted tank to my collection and converting an apisto biotope setup of sand, wood and leaf litter to another lower tech planted setup (i only have 2 pressurised co2 setups currently so the lower tech tank will be using liquid carbon supplement)
ive been looking at either the rio 400 or the aqua one 1500r as my next planted project and ill be doing it fishless to start with so i can concentrate on the plants more.
hopefully i can glean some valuable knowledge from the guys and gals on here and make my next tank even better than my previous setup, which i consider more a learning tank than a truly scaped tank

marc

heres a link to my youtube that shows my current tank
http://www.youtube.com/user/mbezik

Welcome along mate :thumbup:

wow, thanks for the welcomes everyone, seems like a great community on here, ive been lurking for almost a year, mostly while researching estimative index or substrate research and finally decided i should try and be a bit more of an active member now ive found my feet a bit more within the planted aquarium hobby.

Hi Marc,
got your PM and its good to see another Co. Durham located member on here!
The tanks looking really good mate, full of colour, and im interested to know if your using good old aycliffe tap water, RO or modifying the water in any way?
I only joined ukaps this year and its a great font of knowledge.
Cheerio for now,
Ady.

yeah jus straight up aycliffe council pop in the tank, only thing i do to it is add seachem safe dechlor.
got some bad news today the price id been quoted for the aqua one 1500 r was a no go when i rang up today to re check so it looks like the rio 400 is the winner for the new tank, just means i need to look at swapping the internal filter for a decent external.....also the blyxa japonica i ordered from ebay last week is still a no show, im really hopin its just a delay by the seller with the festive period and not another package royal mail have managed to loose.

are you using RO in your tank ady? i spoke to chris at chilton about HMA filters and he seemed to think they were a better option for me if i went that route as the RO needs to be on 24/7 to stop the membrane drying.

bez

No RO for me, its an expensive enough hobby!!! aycliffe tw for me too.
I only ask as youre having good results with your stems and ive always questioned weather the low kh in our area has affected plant growth. Must be another reason why i cant grow plants!!! :lol:
I use Chilton Aquatics too, ive known them for years. I also recognise your name for some reason.
Is this big tank going planted too?
Ady.

yeah the new 450L is gonna be planted, im even considering having it fishless which i know sounds insane but man plants have kinda taken over from the fish for me.
yeah ive been going to chilton since they opened, my folks had tanks in every room in the house when i was a kid including mine and ma bros room, i kinda dropped outa the hobby for a few years when i sold ma house and moved away to manchester for a while but over the last few years its become an obsession again.
hey man if i can be any help at all getting your plants growing well im more than willing to show ya the methods ive been usin as they seem to be working well, since starting with plants ive had pretty good success with both low tech poor substrate tanks all the way to high tech tanks with more plant specific substrates and everything in between.

marc beswick (bez)

Back