• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi all, I'm new and I'm from Somerset

Paul195

I haven't set up any tanks before but I have been given some equipment from a family member who didn't have the time for the hobby anymore. This included:-

Tank - L64"xW11"xH16" (5ft) 185L/40G
DIY black metal hood
DIY stand for above
2nd Tank - L48"xW15"xH15" (4ft) 177L/39G
TetraTec EX1200 Filter and accessories
TetraTec APS300 Air Pump
Fluval 300W internal Heater
Hagen Glo 2x40W T8 ballast

I have been doing lots of planning and research and the time is near to start my first tank, which I plan on being a low-medium tech tank with low-medium light plants. I like the longer but thinner tank and this one also has the stand, but if it were you which tank would you use?

Nice to be here!

Paul

Welcome Paul. There's not much between them two tanks so I guess the one with the stand works out cheapest for you unless you have a cabinet you could put the second one on. Looking at the filter you have been given its probably quite low turnover wise so a smaller tank may have a slight advantage but being 1gall between them it's negligible. You don't mention how long the tubes are, do they go the full length of the 64" or were they off the smaller setup? Your lighting is also around 2wpg on both tanks which is classed as medium lighting which most plants will do well at. Nothing to say they both need to be on but if they are chances are you may need to supplement the tank with carbon either liquid or gas and fertiliser.
If you're thinking of keeping costs down rather than going all out I can highly recommend Tesco cat litter as a substrate but make sure you get the right one. I guess you'll be enjoying reading all the posts at the minute which can sometimes get confusing, it will all make sense eventually ;)

There's no such thing as a stupid question in here. Often common sense is proven to be unreliable :D

Hi

Yes I will keep a journal of my experiences and will post it up!

I have started a new thread in the lighting forum so wont mention that here.
You mentioned about the cat litter for substrate which I saw, but I came to the conclusion that I would use the moler clay as is didn't have the scent and has less fine particles. I was going to go for this:
30 Litre Graded Moler Clay :: Soil :: Greenwood Bonsai Studio

Thanks for your welcoming words.

Paul

I look forward to seeing what the clay looks like in the tank. Quite cheap that for 30l. Not as cheap as the cat litter but would be a lot less hassle. The cat litter is also a reddish colour which can look a bit unnatural under certain lighting.

Back