• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Here we go again. White stringy faeces.

Hi
It is possible to be focusing on the eggs and thats why is a bit of his food.Mine were when kept them.One parent on the eggs and the other eats.If they go for the food at all they should do it with their usual appetite. The Rams are very active spawning when young and slow down as they get more mature.
I also think that U should carry out the treatment.
I personally never had luck with my Rams.They a sort of my Nemesis and weaknesses.
Hope it all works out for you
Regards Konsa

Hi
It is possible to be focusing on the eggs and thats why is a bit of his food.Mine were when kept them.One parent on the eggs and the other eats.If they go for the food at all they should do it with their usual appetite. The Rams are very active spawning when young and slow down as they get more mature.
I also think that U should carry out the treatment.
I personally never had luck with my Rams.They a sort of my Nemesis and weaknesses.
Hope it all works out for you
Regards Konsa
Know what you mean, they're my Nemesis as well and never had any luck with them. Shame really as they are a beautiful fish. If I lose these I probably will give up this time, nice to have some dwarfs in the tank purely for entertainment. The male is still sitting on the eggs tonight.

Previously I have also kept Borelli and cacatuides (both probably spelt wrong) which seemed a lot less troublesome although the cockatoo seemed quite aggressive towards females when not trying to charm them. Where I live you are pretty limited when it comes to dwarf cichlids, Maidenhead Aquatics is probably the best bet but they come at a premium. Not sure how they would get on with shrimp either, I once read a post on UKAPS where a cockatoo introduced into the tank totally, systematically destroyed a full tank of shrimp within hours

My wormer has turned up today so hoping to make a start on it tomorrow night while I have the weekend to do water changes. Being light sensitive I was thinking of doing a 25% change and dose just before lights out, or will Lights need to be off for the full duration? Still a bit unsure of the dose as well.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Hi
I dosed it on lights out and kept the lights as normal.
For your tank size (100l)4 ml should be enough I double dosed it in my tank with no ill effects on filters and shrimp as is quite safe.
Regards Konsa

Given your further observations, I'd just dose for 3 days, & then observe
Increase water change frequency for the next 1-2 weeks (don't drive yourself crazy, just do what you can)

Male ram seems well enough in photos, it's common for good parent fish to concentrate on parenting over eating, you might try dropping some (small amount) brine shrimp or other favourite food in his zone - after distracting the rest of the tank inhabitants (with lots of food) .... brine shrimp, daphnia, calanus are "better" foods when gut issues are suspected

I usually medicate at a time when I can observe tank for an hour or so, just in case of adverse reactions
- large (75% - 90%) water change is quickest way to deal with stress response, then add carbon ... catching & removing fish is usually more stressful - so near end of photoperiod or dim lighting

Tank volume is usually calculated as maximum water that might be held within the space, in most aquariums, actual water volume may be significantly less than this (theoretical) value - medication toxicity is rarely a consideration in fish tanks as the difference between therapeutic & toxic levels is usually very broad (think factors of 5, 10, 20 etc)
Most pet trade home use medications err on the side of extreme caution - I always confirm therapeutic doses (of the active ingredient) for ornamental fish
University of Florida Fish Veterinary department has a series of articles developed for aquaculture, hobbyists
I've included the Fish Disease link but there are many husbandry articles as well

As I mentioned previously, all the "stuff" in aquaria tend to reduce medication levels in the water column, so again overdosing is rare & "generous" dosing is usually required for effective treatment levels.

Most medications are "stressful" to some degree so it's not unusual to note lessened activity/coloration,
though in the case of external parasites, it's common to observe increased activity & general fish "happiness" within an hour of dosing.

Thanks for the detailed information, I suspect the eggs will have gone tonight if true to previous spawns so that should tell me if he's back interested in food . Regarding water changes, I generally do a 50% tomorrow or would you suggest 25% each day just before dosing, observe for an hour then lights off for the next three days?

I'm going to start tonight as that gives me three days for any remedial action before I go away to work on Monday.

Last edited:
So here's the dilemma, never a dull moment in this tank. Got home and found I have wrigglers which I've never got to that stage before unless it was the pair moving them to a better place.
I have to ask the question is this treatment safe for fry? Thing is there's high probability that these fry will either get eaten by the parents or other fish or probably sucked into the filter although I do have a filter guard I could fit. I also don't have any food available for them if miracles happened.
I suppose the well being of the adult is priority as they will probably spawn again if the treatment works.

Just don't want to execute some fry without being 100% about the adult.

Final thought, is there any problems using Prime at the same time? Word on the street is that it's very potent stuff at removing nasties. Is there any chance it could react with the wormer? I don't have any other dechlorinator right now but I could get some tomorrow.

50% water changes are grand - whatever your routine changes are, usually works best as that's what you & your fish are accustomed to

If male ram seems fine & no symptoms in other fish, it's likely fine to hold off on the levamisole bath - don't forget you can start feeding medicated food (which is generally better for all involved, anyway) - I'd use a 10mg/ml solution for soaking foods, just add 1ml (well shaken/stirred) bottle solution + 7ml water, soak food 10min or so, discard extra solution & try to just add food tank

Can you move wigglers to another tank?

Can you add a sponge "prefilter" to your intake tube?
Even just raising intake a few inches from tank bottom will help wrt fry

Re Prime, just wait 10 min or so after adding before adding in med - I assume you're only dosing for 1-2X tank volume

Fry food - very finely grated frozen brine shrimp works well, not as nutrient dense as live bbs or decaps but sufficient to sustain life, look for pink fry, feed small amounts as often as possible - this is the advantage of live foods, they often persist for an hour or so in the tank

Note you can decapsulate brine shrimp eggs while waiting for the hatch (24-36h depending on temp, bbs should be fed within a couple hours after hatching re nutrition & size)

Damn never thought of treating the food. I just gave them a little pinch to see what happened. They look like they have stashed the wrigglers around the back of the stone from the flat piece at the front, going by how defensive they are I think there must be some still about.

Can't really get them out, I have a shrimp guard but they may be small enough to go through that. I think I will hold off on the treatment until tomorrow, my filter is about due a clean and so is the pipework so I might as well do that in the morning. Will also try some medicated food so thanks for the instructions. Large WC tomorrow and I'll reevaluate, if fry gone and he's eating I might try med food or if he's not make a start on treating the tank. I was too busy filming to actually see if the piece of Prima he grabbed was actually swallowed. Doh

He looks quite alright in the video, offer some favourite foods, especially if you can deliver some just to their territory (turkey blaster?) - be careful of overfeeding the area, just a few brine shrimp per fish

Male was sitting on about 20 or so wrigglers yesterday which are preparing to swim. He keeps catching them and spitting them back on the stone taking it in turns to chase nearby fish away.
Tried feeding some medicated food last night, used frozen brine shrimp, flakes, prima and even done half an algae wafer so everybody got some. The Rams had a peck but didn't really eat and the rest of the fish are hanging out in a back corner to stay out of the Rams way who extremely touchy right now as you can imagine.
Unfortunately I'm away working next week so I guess it's in the hands of the gods now. I'll probably get a better idea of who's eating and who's not when the fry have gone sadly.

Back