• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with first Riparium

ilovetoads2

Seedling
Hello. I am new on here and would like to introduce myself with a question I really need help with.

My passion is frogs. I currently have a colony of red eyed tree frogs in a natural set up and a pair of peacock day geckos, also in a natural set up...however, I am really struggling with my fire bellied toad tank!!!

The requirements are simple. They need some kind of land area, mainly for feeding, they need water as they behave more like frogs than toads, they dont require heat, nor much light (I use UV anyway)

I have seen such a thing as a riparium. The way these plants grow from planters and emerse from the water supported by floating platforms is ideal. This would allow me to create a sort of shore line effect. I would provide hard landscaping with a large piece of mopani, but this is only to allow crickets an extra place to climb out of the water and the toads a place to play hide and seek.

The problem I have is that I know nothing about aquariums, aquatic plants, substrates, or anything else even remotely related. Before I have tried to contain the soil and plants, but is always becomes water logged and I have had to go back to boring cobbles and one fake fern.

Please could you give me tips as if you were speaking to a five year old. I need to know plants that will grow imersed, where to get the planters, what soil to use, and everything in between.

Many tanks :lol:

Yes, Hydrophytes journals were the ones I was looking at...but I cant get my head around what he is talking about. As I say, I am a complete beginner.

I like the river bank one, and would like to copy it, but as I say I would have a large chunk of wood in the middle also...

Back