• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help on my low tech tank

FrozenShivers

What's the best way to deal with this? Tank is low tech with a about 1ml TNC complete added every day.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpg
    IMG_8125.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8124.jpg
    IMG_8124.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8123.jpg
    IMG_8123.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
How old is your tank? What is the substrate? What's the size?
It looks like diatoms. After establishing a new tank, a period of diatom proliferation follows very often. With a little patience, they're likely to disappear.
Your plants are mostly slow-growers (Anubias). They don't need much fertilization. If you dose too much, the stability of your tank may get compromised. One of the possible ramifications is algae.

How old is your tank? What is the substrate? What's the size?
It looks like diatoms. After establishing a new tank, a period of diatom proliferation follows very often. With a little patience, they're likely to disappear.
Your plants are mostly slow-growers (Anubias). They don't need much fertilization. If you dose too much, the stability of your tank may get compromised. One of the possible ramifications is algae.

Tank is about 8-9 months old. Substrate is just Unipac Sand so is inert. I'll try lowering my fert dosing and see if it clears then? Thanks.

How big is the tank? And for @dw1305 sake pictures of the floaters.
Other bits of useful info: Are you using lovely soft Scottish tap water? Light type, intensity. Water change regime.

Tank is 60x35x35 so around 75litres, not many floaters on it at the moment which I do need to fix hah! I am indeed using lovely Scottish tap water (around 6.8PH from memory), Lighting is Twinstar 60B at around 25-30% 8 hours a day with 1h ramp on and off. Water change is 50% every week :)

So the 1ml Tnc daily adds this weekly.
Screenshot_20230929_194353_Chrome.jpg

Are these levels of ferts killing the plants? I suspect not.

Not to sure how to advise what will help this situation but I think the "overdosing" of ferts is a red herring. 🤔

On a side note do you add any extra Magnesium.

Attach files
So the 1ml Tnc daily adds this weekly.
View attachment 211167

Are these levels of ferts killing the plants? I suspect not.

Not to sure how to advise what will help this situation but I think the "overdosing" of ferts is a red herring. 🤔

On a side note do you add any extra Magnesium.

Apologies for the slow reply. No I have never added any extra Magnesium :)..I could always snip the leaves haha.

Back