• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP damselfly nymph!!

suzanne

Seedling
please can someone offer me some advice, i first noticed damselfly nymph in tank in march (i only set tank up jan so they were young)i quarantined fish and shrimp and stripped tank down and started again just to be sure id got them all, from then on i bought all my plant in-vitro to avoid contaminating, the last couple of weeks i noticed i dont seem to see my shrimp anymore, tank is heavily planted so thought they could be hiding, then a couple of my pygmy cory had what looked like bite marks on them as the inhabitants are all nano i couldnt work out how this happened i thought maybe theyd injured themselves as they can be skittish, then today when i put light on i see a big 1" fully grown damselfy nymph which i managed to kill but now im wondering if theres more in there, how the hell it got in is beyond me i really dont want to strip down my tank again, as i no longer have shrimp i was wondering if anyone knows of anything i could put in tank that wont harm fish but kill the nymphs... so gutted.......

so quick update just been googling i think it was a dragonfly nymph (not damselfly) as it was short and stout and i dont recall it having that 3 point tail like the damselfly nymph, oh and apparently much more predatory, great!

Last edited:
Hi.

Only a suggestion but could you remove all live stock and cover the tank top with mesh. That would stop eggs being laid. Once larve become air borne they can be removed?

I have an open top aquarium and there are midges on the water. These are a new food source.

How did you go on with this?The other day I removed a unidentified nasty,I think it might be the unusual warm and wet weather atracting these nasties,Caddis Nymphs are ferocious predators and will attack fish as you know,I can only think of a baited with bloodworm trap to get them out

Back