• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help aquascape my South American Clearwater stream

14crazychris

So getting all my equipment together for the tank and thought I’d have a play around with some wood I purchased, had to chop it up and attach it back together so it would fit in my 2ft cube. Tanks currently in the garage so messing about with the scape. Have a range of different smooth rocks, going for a South American Clearwater stream. Rocks will surround the wood at the base but think it needs something else? Will plant vallis along with echinodorus along the back and around the wood, a few small low lying plants in the foreground with a couple of small Amazon swords. But I think the tank need something else? Like a small rock pile on one side? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated or what I could change/ add. That’s the best position for the wood, will be slightly angled up so the branches are an inch from the glass on all sides. Hopefully the pictures are attached.
Cheers Chris

Attachments

• 3FB07495-F52A-482C-A967-A80DA96927AE.jpeg
    3FB07495-F52A-482C-A967-A80DA96927AE.jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 90ADC81D-4555-4CDB-9FC3-1AE2F3E84960.jpeg
    90ADC81D-4555-4CDB-9FC3-1AE2F3E84960.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 289
  • A0E2A774-895A-4D47-BC6E-D71DF51786DD.jpeg
    A0E2A774-895A-4D47-BC6E-D71DF51786DD.jpeg
    870.5 KB · Views: 282
Chris
Its a very interesting piece of wood that must be set up in such a way it blends in with its surrounds.

My only advice at the moment would be keep every thing looking natural. Do a lot of research on the "South American Clear water streams" I am not referring to looking at Aquascapes.

Keith:wave::wave:

Chris
Its a very interesting piece of wood that must be set up in such a way it blends in with its surrounds.

My only advice at the moment would be keep every thing looking natural. Do a lot of research on the "South American Clear water streams" I am not referring to looking at Aquascapes.

Cheers, yeah it’s a really nice but, took a lot of chopping and changing to get all the branches in the aquarium and not touching the glass. Have been researching scaping ideas for a few months now, lots of planning before setting this up. Most images show sparse planting which is what I’m aiming for. Will keep sorting through clear water stream images but think I’m going to try and hide the back of the aquarium with val and swords, around the base of the wood. So it’ appears to be emerging. Going for a river bank on a large stream look. Lots of smooth rocks with about 50/50 rock/soil substrate.
Cheers Chris

You could go the opposite. Flip the wood 180 degrees so the flat piece is on top at the water surface. Lots of rocks and little planting below and loads of emersed plants on the top of the wood, so it looks like the bank with roots hanging down.

You could go the opposite. Flip the wood 180 degrees so the flat piece is on top at the water surface. Lots of rocks and little planting below and loads of emersed plants on the top of the wood, so it looks like the bank with roots hanging down.

Cheers tam, I did try this but the wood didn’t look quite right, however I will try it again and see if there’s a way I can suspend the wood up higher, as you say emerged plant growth with the roots hanging down would look awesome! Will have a play about!
Cheers Chris

I'm want try this with a piece of wood I'm planning, I think I'm going to fit it with a hook and hang it over the side. Using acrylic or maybe even oak to make the hook and then a cable tie to attach the wood to the hook. It's difficult getting wood to go exactly where you want it!

I'm want try this with a piece of wood I'm planning, I think I'm going to fit it with a hook and hang it over the side. Using acrylic or maybe even oak to make the hook and then a cable tie to attach the wood to the hook. It's difficult getting wood to go exactly where you want it!

Yeah that’s true, did think about that, maintenance would be a nightmare as no acces to tank substrate, and unfortunately there aren’t any significant points touching the bottom so hardscaping would be difficult. Think that’s the best position for the wood, will have one pile of rocks around one root creating a foreground structure as well as rocks around the base of the stump. Might need to choose some new rocks and the ones I have might not create impact.
Cheers Chris

Some pools have more plant density than others - I believe the green neon video (or really it could be another ;)) shows fairly dense vallisneria type plants

Some pools have more plant density than others - I believe the green neon video (or really it could be another ;)) shows fairly dense vallisneria type plants

Ok great thank you! Getting there slowly still need to find a moss from South American to put all over the wood.
Cheers Chris

Chris

Looking at that video and others the bottom of the river looks rather uninteresting if converted to an Aquascape.

I have seen many mangroves when fishing in northern tropical Australia with your piece of wood it just might work. Here are some typical examples.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...N4KHY51DnYQ4lYIKygA&biw=1024&bih=531&dpr=1.88

Cheers Keith, done marines before, had a full Reef tank setup but want to go back to tropical now, mangroves would look awesome! But staying away from saltwater sorry, thanks for the link though. Think I’m going to have large river rocks surrounded with gravel, leaving patches of open soil which will be planted. Have a wave maker which I will hide at the back, thisb along with my two return pumps should provide lots of flow.

Cheers Chris

Managed to get some assorted pebbles and have been messing about with the scape. What do you guys think? Will have 4cm of Colombo flora base below it and the open areas will be lightly planted. A few plants poping up between the stones. Valis will grow up the back with a few amazon words dotted inbetweeen the rocks at the back middle. Will place lots of moss over the wood, some will hopefully emerge out of the top.

Cheers Chris

Attachments

• BEF2011D-8B19-4722-AE75-C0DD227AFAEC.jpeg
    BEF2011D-8B19-4722-AE75-C0DD227AFAEC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
  • BBC900FB-5337-465A-819D-B883D12CC251.jpeg
    BBC900FB-5337-465A-819D-B883D12CC251.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 223
  • 26C944DB-9B95-4DA6-9F0C-D2FD2CD3DA6D.jpeg
    26C944DB-9B95-4DA6-9F0C-D2FD2CD3DA6D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 225
  • B0685960-A29E-43BE-AECC-F053E6B7FBB4.jpeg
    B0685960-A29E-43BE-AECC-F053E6B7FBB4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 218
  • AD1DA072-8384-4A32-9BBD-77B408C3C35D.jpeg
    AD1DA072-8384-4A32-9BBD-77B408C3C35D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
The circles are a little neat looking at the moment, but I think if you scatter some additional small pebbles between that will solve that. Otherwise nice pebbles :)

The circles are a little neat looking at the moment, but I think if you scatter some additional small pebbles between that will solve that. Otherwise nice pebbles :)

Ok cheers, that’s great, will do. Don’t think any additional hardscape supplies will be needed. The substrate will be littered with alder cones and catapa leaves.
Cheers Chris

Back