• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help - 4 day old tank with a jelly slime on Anubias

crip_tic

Seedling
Hi,

I have just planted my 20 L tank and have secured my anubias bonsai onto some Redmoor wood with a hair net. I have an air stone in and light but no filter. My substrate is tropica for later planting topped with fluval shrimp substrate. No animals in the tank.

I woke up to find a jelly slime over my Redmoor wood, by my anubias. It has some trapped air bubbles in it and is quite dense. I can't see into the rhizomes but I think its down there as well. Nowhere else in my tank.

Do you know what it is and what I should do. I have treated the water to remove chlorine only.

Thanks

gel.jpg

Attachments

• gel.jpg
    gel.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 209
Hi,it's most likely leeched from the wood.No problem remove and scrub it off.I like to soak my wood a bit before putting it in the tank in a bucket changing the water regularly to remove tannins and more often than not you get this kind of slime,quick scrub it's off.Might come back and you have to do it again but it stops quickly:) Cheers Mark

Yea thats sap from the wood. They can do that for some time. Last aquarium i did i had soaked the wood for 3 weeks and they still leaked sap like no tomorrow for over a month after.. Was quite a mess.
If possible soak new wood in some hot water to open the pores.

I didn't think it was sap but a mould. You can scrape it off and syphon it away.

You could atleast have googled the saprolegnia fungus that the artikel is about before posting it. Does not look anything like this. It is sap. Molds look different:)

I've seen this mold in many different formats depending on water conditions, flow, etc.
However if you think it's sap, I'd appreciate a link to validate this.
Cheers

You could atleast have googled the saprolegnia fungus that the artikel is about before posting it. Does not look anything like this. It is sap. Molds look different:)

It is not sap, It is fungi which can appear in varying configuration's depending on type of wood.
Can boil the wood if the wood is small .
Snail's,shrimp's,will attack this fungi with a vengence, or at least they do in my tank's, where wood is too large to place in boiling pot.
Mopani wood I have used seem's to alway's develop this.
Would never use sappy wood like pine,spruce,grapewood,or any wood that was still green.
Malaysian driftwood never does this and sink's faster IME.

Having googled and tried to look at other forum mentions and photos - I haven't found anything that looks like this. The mould pictures seem to have filaments of varying types running through them where as mine is slightly opaque but not showing any filaments/spots/fluff. I've seen moulds on none aquarium trees that are 'clear' so it could still be a fungus. I also read up about red moor wood and there was a suggestion on another forum that boiling this type can start a mould out brake but that of all the woods, red moor is less likely to have it .... so I don't know! I think Im just going to see if it changes at all and scrape it off. I can't get it out due to the way I've secured it in and planted around it.

It does seem to be near the base knot part where there would have been a root tangle so place your bets! I just hope my shrimp eat it to help get rid of it - it's in an awkward place to clean.

I've seen this mold in many different formats depending on water conditions, flow, etc.
However if you think it's sap, I'd appreciate a link to validate this.
Cheers
Well first I want a link showing it is a mold:)
saprolegnia looks like cotton. Hence its other name "cotton mould".
And slime molds does not look like that either.
Found this on practicalfishkeeping that says that mopani wood is notorious for leaching tannic acid into water.
What you need to know about tank decoration | Features | Practical Fishkeeping
But it appear we all might be wrong.. found this on the barr report with an expert saying that it is a product of bacterial action eating the leeching tannins.
Driftwood/bogwood problems: tiny black spots & opaque slime coat cover..... - Aquarium Plants
:)

Mould or sap (although I would go for the former) I had the same looking stuff on some manzanita wood, scrubbed it off easily a couple of times before I took the wood out for a tank move around.
When I eventually use it again I think I will try the vinegar treatment used for tannin reduction that I have successfully treated mopani wood for before it goes back in.

that bacterial reaction looks just like it - I think that's it. Good find.

Back