• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

ukjay

Seedling
Hello Everyone,

As a matter of courtessy, I thought I would firstly introduce myself here, as I will no doubt be asking some questions about what to me is a new side to my aquarium portfolio.

Although I am not new to aquariums, (I have some 30 years experience with Coldwater, Koi Ponds, Tropical and for the last 10 years or so Marine Reef) - the one area I have never ventured into, has been the planted aquarium side of things, but this is to change!

With the above in mind, it is why I have now come to be a member of this site, to hopefully learn what I can before taking the plunge into setting up my first planted aquarium, as there is what I consider quite alot of conflicting advice being given out in general - thus I feel I will benefit from the knowledge on here, hoping to set up a successful system.

Now as I have CO2 and the required gauges that I use on my Marine Reef systems, I am leaning towards an LED illuminated tank with pressurised CO2 if possible - and the aquarium I am planning to set up is a 60 x 60 x 60 cm cube, as I have one sitting around currently.

My question therefore, is can I work with this size of aquarium, and what would people recommend as a decent lighting unit (Led), as my LED knowledge is from Marine side of things, so it may differ?
Also, what substrate would you recommend for a beginner (I have used the search engine, but I cant seem to locate a general consensus for this question), so I apologise if it is one of those tiresome questions from 'Newbs'.

Thanks in advance for your help here, it will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Jay

Get whatever lights you can afford, it really doesn't matter, only for aesthetic reasons. I'd recommend TMC tiles. For a tank your size, a TMC Mini 400 would be more than enough - you will need to get a controller to dim it as they are really bright. Do not run them any higher than 40% else you will get all sorts of algae problems. You can use other methods to dim the lights without a controller, mounting the light high above the tank or using a sheet of thin fabric to bring the intensity down (this is a bit of a guessing game though as you won't know what % you're at, you'll just have to keep an eye out for algae).

Again, substrate does not matter as long as you are dosing fertilizers (if you're using CO2 this is a must anyway). ADA Amazonia is what most people go for if they can afford it. A 9L bag should be enough for your tank, maybe a little more.

A few words of advice before you get started. When you buy most plants, they are grown above water. When you put them into water, they do not have access to the same amount of CO2 that there is in the atmosphere and they effectively suffocate (melt). It's therefore a good idea not to buy any live stock, so that you can pump out higher levels of CO2 and not have to worry about killing any inhabitants. After a couple of months (possibly longer, I'm no expert), when the plants have grown and become more adapted to lower levels of CO2, the CO2 can be decreased enough for livestock to be added.

Those are the best bits of advice I've got for a new starter, follow them and you should do well.

Hello UkJay,

Following Julian, and as for lights you are solved.

Substrate:
As for the substrate i tried a few along these years.. and there is one i never recomend. JBL Manado. To thin and light. It will fly in the tank.
Also, don´t put any fertil above substrate, cause if you do you wont be able to reutilize substrate.
ADA is the best choice but still the most expensive and the one with more amonia. You may consider Tropica Plant Growth (half of the price) and it is a 5 stars substrate.
If you choose ADA substrate i also recomend to use ADA Bacter 100 to increase the cicle and get that amonia out much safer and faster.

Filter:
Your tank is around 200 liters. I recomend a filter with a pump of 10 times this value. Or two external filters of about 1000 liter / hour each.
Water flow is the most important thing in a planted tank. Without that you compromise everything. Keep this in mind.
And if you think of puting Lily Pipes than you´ll have to think in more powerful filters. Cause Lily Pipes always reduce a bit the capacity of any filter cause of it´s Inlet or slots.

Fertilization:
Estimative Index (no questions about it)

Co2:
You Allready have.
Recomendation:
I like a diffuser inside the tank but if you think choosing an Reactor or Atomiser than is one more thing to consider about the filters. Cause by this way you´ll have one more thing in the way of the water as she gots out of the filter till the tank.
Back to the Keep In mind: Anything you put in the way of the water since the filter till the tank will reduce the waterflow cause is one more thing the rotor as to deal and win. Phisics!

So by the time of choosing filters keep In mind all this.

Others:
Initial Photoperiod : 7 hours.
Co2 starting two hours earlier than the lights and so in acordance shuting down two hours earlier to.

Water Changes:
First week: 50% everyday
Second WeeK: 50% day yes day no
Third and fourth week: 50% 2 times in this week
Since Fourth week: 50% weekly

The cicle must be pretty much complete by now and well established to enter live stock.
Or You may enter live stock since day one, They help cicling. I always have my tanks with lie stock since day one. Never get a fish dead.

Best regards and i ´ll be waiting to follow ;)

Hello Julian, Paulo,

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, it is appreciated.

What seems apparent is that flow is a major part of a successful planted aquarium - which although a lot lower than my reef aquarium turnover (55 times) - I can understand the logic very well, especially when talking about circulating CO2 for the plants removing dead spots.

What I am intrigued with here, is that the tile LED light recommended seems quite a low power LED unit, so what par levels should one work to achieve in the different heights through the depth of the aquarium - (600mm or 24"), 550mm water depth?

Also, there seems a two sided story over what water should be used - RO vs Tap Water, so what would we recommend here?

Thanks again for your time here, it is appreciated.

Kind regards

Jay

Hello Jay looking forward to seeing your tank and also those ponds:)

Hello Jay looking forward to seeing your tank and also those ponds:)

Hello Kirk,

Thank you for the warm welcome, but unfortunately the koi pond has long since gone (house move etc) :( - which is why I am now maintaining my fascination with fish etc via aquariums.

Kind regards

Jay

Back