• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heater for a 19L tank?

Zoe

I need an internal one, I'm not sure what to go for- they all seem to have pretty similar reviews!!

Look for an adjustable heater rather than the "fixed temperature" versions - which actually promise X degrees above ambient rather than an actual temperature

For 19litres I try to use 25 watt heaters (I've not seen any 10watt with adjustable temp control), I've also used 50watt when I can't find any 25's but find they will run "hot" as the water volume is small - generally fish & especially shrimp manage slightly cooler temps better than hotter temps, so I always choose to err on the less side

Beware of the new "plastic" "fish safe" heaters, a friend had several running in shop tanks, all failed & more than half smoked & melted first (some fish deaths - likely from toxins released as water temp was still OK)

If this is a Fluval Spec19 tank, look for shorter brands that will sit nicely in the pump compartment (Eheims can be a cm too long & "bump" plastic cover)

I have the same tank and ive got an Aquarium Systems Visitherm 25w Mini and it fits in the pump compartment like a dream.

Back