• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GSA on lower half of tank

wasmith600

Seedling
Hi everyone.
I've been a member for a while reading loads of post to get info required but i'm stuck on the issue i have at the mo.
I have a 400litre tank with some amazon swords. I have on the lower 1/3 of my tank GSA with almost a perfect line where it stops and starts.
My lights are 4x54watt T5, 2 of which are on for 10 hours and the remaining 2 for 4 hours half way through.
I do water changes once a week of 200litres. I wipe the inside of the tank above and below the water line, although coincidently (not sure if i spelt that correctly) the algae line is at the water change line.
I have just bought some discus and so will be doing 100litre changes every day so i will be able to see if the GSA rises to this line.

wasmith600 said:
Hi everyone.
I've been a member for a while reading loads of post to get info required but i'm stuck on the issue i have at the mo.
I have a 400litre tank with some amazon swords. I have on the lower 1/3 of my tank GSA with almost a perfect line where it stops and starts.
My lights are 4x54watt T5, 2 of which are on for 10 hours and the remaining 2 for 4 hours half way through.
I do water changes once a week of 200litres. I wipe the inside of the tank above and below the water line, although coincidently (not sure if i spelt that correctly) the algae line is at the water change line.
I have just bought some discus and so will be doing 100litre changes every day so i will be able to see if the GSA rises to this line.

The main problem that causes GSA is high lighting - turn your lighting period down it too long especially when using T5 tube - knock it down to 6 hrs max with two tube Inc 2 hours (mid lighting period boost) with the other two tubes on, wipe all the glass with GSA on it when you do your water change and it will disappear over a couple of weeks.

Regards
paul.

Back