• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grownup Swedish Suprise

I have finally put my tank on order. It's an Aqua Marin Planta 900 rimless with a Mekong colour cabinet (90 x 50 x 48cms high - 216 litres).

It should be here in four weeks, giving us time to finish decorating the lounge and get the carpet down.

In an attempt to look after the environment I have decided to go for a coldwater/temperate jungle style, low tech tank, with some emersed and riparium planting.

Watch this space.

Last edited:
Well, just got a text message from Seabray to say my Aqua Marin tank has been despatched. They were supposed to call and arrange a day and time as they just drop it at the curbside. Not sure my 4' 11", 8 1/2 stone frame can lift it by myself... just hope my other half can get a few hours off on Friday at short notice!

At least I managed to put my plant ladder together today. It's going to sit on the same wall as the tank.

Attachments

• 20220215_135734.jpg
    20220215_135734.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
Hiya, it's:

:)

If you take a trip to Maidenhead Aquatics in Ascot they have a display one.

Hiya, it's:

:)

Does it have optiwhite glass?

I'd consider having some space between the wall and the tank. I have 90P and 15 or maybe even 20 cm in between. It's really useful for maintenance.
This! I have 5cm between the wall and my back pane on the 55l and it’s a nightmare to get in to clean or when a nerite throws itself down there.

I have about 10cm between the tank and the wall, plus it has an open back on the left and the right, with a central brace. Handy if I lose any tools down the back!

They seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the design. I really like the fact that they have built a high shelf compartment to isolate the included 5 gang extension lead from any potential spills. There is a cable port for the wires to go through on either the left or the right and a plastic cover to clip over the holes and keep the cables tidy, once I have decided what is going where. Each of the plug sockets has an individual on/off switch too. Soft close doors also a bonus.
20220227_162950.jpg

Last edited:
Over the last six months I have been gathering any decent weathered oak or beech I have found. It's been soaking in a large tub in the garden, covered in a tarp, along with my large piece of corbo wood. Today I had a little play with a potential layout. Now granted, this will need tweaking once the substrate is in and gluing etc. For the sake of composition it will be supported on the third by the corbo wood, but didn't bring it indoors as it's holding rather a lot of water. Will do a decent amount of planting on the left to hide the ends of the wood. Not precisely how it will be, but you get the idea. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thankfully the plant ladder comes in half, should I ever need to extricate it from the corner!

20220309_162401.jpg

Last edited:
Got all my substrate and gear together now. Also got my list of plants and will be placing my order with Aquarium Gardens, for delivery next week.

As I'm aiming for a Walstad/dirtied ecosystem style tank I have opted for an Aquael 500 Turbo (with a spray bar if I can find a suitable one) and an Aquael Pat Mini for extra flow. In theory this gives approx. 5 times turnover of the actual useable water volume (about 175 litres due to slightly dropped waterline and substrate). Failing that I'll get a canister filter.

FISH

Peppered corydoras (6 or so)
Macropodus Opercularis Paradise fish - 1 male, 3 female
Schooling fish of some sort. LOVE Moustached Danios, but a bit big for a 90cm tank and think they will become airborne, even with a 10cm dropped waterline!

Plants planned as follows:

FOREGROUND/MID GROUND
Cryptocoryne lutea Hobbit x 3
Helanthium tenellum Green (Tropica 1,2 Grow pot) x 2
Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan x 1
Juncus repens x 3

BACKGROUND
Hygrophila polysperma x 2
Hygrophila siamensis 53B x 1
Vallisneria spiralis x 1

ON WOOD/EPIPHYTES
Anubias Golden Nana x 1
Hygrophila pinnatifida (Tropica 1,2 Grow pot) x 1
Bucephalandra Red x 1
Hydrocotyle leucocephala x 1 (hoping to plant in substrate and train up branches)

FLOATING
Phyllanthus fluitans (failing that Limnobium laevigatum)

RIPARIUM
Epipremnum aureum (Pothos)
Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily - already growing hydroponically and flowering like mad)
Chamaedorea elegans (Parlour Palm)

Might try an orchid above the waterline or a Bromeliad. All depends on space!

Question is, do I have enough or too many plants for a footprint of 90 x 50cms? Answers on a postcard please...

Last edited:
I can't say for the aquatic plants, but I would consider switching the potho for some Ficus pumila or similar. The ficus is easy to keep in shape with a bit of pruning, while a potho in such good conditions will grow huge and unwieldy.

@Tyko_N Thanks for the heads up. I'll look at that. I already have a cutting of Pothos stuck in the back if my quarantine tank. So far it's growing at a snails pace, but I think that's mainly due to light fish load and very lean dosing. Maybe I'll leave the Pothos on the plant ladder instead!

Back