• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing Moss Emersed 'Loose'

Fox

I'm trying to grow mosses so when I want some for shrimp tanks I don't have to buy more.

In a moment of boredom today, I popped into my local MA branch as not been there for years (Chipperfield). It's an absolute joke, the place is crying out for modernisation. Anyway, the branch is part of a garden centre and I saw a heated propogation unit reduced (to a measly £100 :lol: ), but it got me thinking.

Is it possible to grow moss 'loose' in an emersed set-up? I've seen success with moss in a jam-jar without being attached to anything, but what about growing loose and emersed? Does it need something to hang-on to for it to grow when out of water?

I bought a plastic propagation tray and lid (yeah I know I could have used tanks I already own and clingfilm but I like buying stuff), and I also picked up some 'fibre' plant pots. I thought if I sprayed the moss, the pots would retain some of the moisture. Not the end of the world if the moss started to attach to the pots as sure could get it off when required. I appreciate I might have been better using the money to buy moss, but I like tinkering with stuff.

No idea if this would work, probably missed something obvious, so please feel free to tell me what!

Back