• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

grobeam 600 light spread

dansmith

Seedling
Hello , I am just working out the pro's and con's of different lighting fixtures for my next aquarium, which will be a 110cm x 40cm x 50cm (h) ada stlyle, low light ,high tech. So I was wondering, having seen the ada aquasky leds, if the same effect could be reproduced with a twin grobeam 600 suspended head to tail say 30cm above the water level. I know that these units have a 120 degree spread and a scale drawing shows coverage , even a lot of light spill, but in reality would these cover my 40cm wide aquarium if set exactly in the middle. I am not really concerned with intensity as I feel I may have to run them at a reduced power for my low light needs , but just thinking about the light spread so there will be no dark corners, Except the obvious driftwood/plant shadows. Many thanks.

I have two those TMC grobeam 600 suspended with the output intensity lowered about 5 cm above the water surface on my tank. The spread of light is good and if they were elevated a just a little I think you would be fine. Might want to put them slightly off centre (toward the front) even, so you get the light, and what makes these lights great -the shadows falling toward the back of the tank more than the front?

Hope that helps

I agree with Ruben, having used 2 of these in the past, I wouldn't use then in anything over a 100cm tank.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem: I'm setting up a 90cm low light - low CO2 aquarium and I'm interested in using the Grobeam 600. However, I'm not sure whether I should use the single or dual for a low light setup.

Ian, you recommend using 2 for this size then?

Cheers,
Gilles

I have two those TMC grobeam 600 suspended with the output intensity lowered about 5 cm above the water surface on my tank. The spread of light is good and if they were elevated a just a little I think you would be fine. Might want to put them slightly off centre (toward the front) even, so you get the light, and what makes these lights great -the shadows falling toward the back of the tank more than the front?

Hope that helps
Do you have any photos ? also, you say the lights are 5cm above the surface with lowered output , could you tell me what percent you have them running at please?
I was hoping to have them raised at least 20cm from surface to allow the bolbitis I have in mind ,to grow in its emersed form. Does this seem feasible?.

I agree with Ruben, having used 2 of these in the past, I wouldn't use then in anything over a 100cm tank.
Thanks for reply, So do you think a tank length of 110cm is pushing it as far as two grobeams are concerned? I was just thinking along the lines of some people just using one tube on their low light tanks. I know leds have a different light quality to tubes, but, It is is a tricky one getting a balance with this low light game.

Question is: do Reuben & Ian have low light setup like ours or high light?

@ Reuben: how did you lower intensity, are you using a dimmer?

Hello

Question is: do Reuben & Ian have low light setup like ours or high light? @ Reuben: how did you lower intensity, are you using a dimmer?
Well I think Ian's setup would be classed as high light as he had them running at max output for his photo period (we was actually using the grobeam 500s I think?) I've been faffing about and getting advice on here looking to make life easier by lowering output -just so I can make sure my Co2 and ferts are sufficient. Yes, i am using a TMC aquaray controller. I currently have this set for max out put from the two tubes as 20%. The controller also allows you to set on off times and has a ramp facility which lets you fade in and out the light. I have mine set to fade in out over 180 mins. This is nice as the light in the tank continually changes.

could you tell me what percent you have them running at please?
20% max

I was hoping to have them raised at least 20cm from surface to allow the bolbitis I have in mind ,to grow in its emersed form. Does this seem feasible?.
Yes that would be no problem and should work well.

I have exactly the same problem: I'm setting up a 90cm low light - low CO2 aquarium and I'm interested in using the Grobeam 600. However, I'm not sure whether I should use the single or dual for a low light setup. Ian, you recommend using 2 for this size then?
I'd say one would be ample if you are aiming for a low light setup.

So do you think a tank length of 110cm is pushing it as far as two grobeams are concerned?
I think that would work, assuming you put then inline with one another, if that makes sense?

I recall being told that one of the grobeam 600s has similar level of light output as one and a half T5 tubes when running at 100% output, which should help in deciding what people need for their setup. Intensity can of course be adjusted by raising the unit, but I think the controller and the way it allows you to fade in and out of the photo period is what makes this lighting great to use.

Hope this helps.

Hello

Well I think Ian's setup would be classed as high light as he had them running at max output for his photo period (we was actually using the grobeam 500s I think?) I've been faffing about and getting advice on here looking to make life easier by lowering output -just so I can make sure my Co2 and ferts are sufficient. Yes, i am using a TMC aquaray controller. I currently have this set for max out put from the two tubes as 20%. The controller also allows you to set on off times and has a ramp facility which lets you fade in and out the light. I have mine set to fade in out over 180 mins. This is nice as the light in the tank continually changes.

20% max

I think that would work, assuming you put then inline with one another, if that makes sense?

I recall being told that one of the grobeam 600s has similar level of light output as one and a half T5 tubes when running at 100% output, which should help in deciding what people need for their setup. Intensity can of course be adjusted by raising the unit, but I think the controller and the way it allows you to fade in and out of the photo period is what makes this lighting great to use.

Hope this helps.
When you say inline , I guess this is another term for head to tail, which is what I had in mind. I think the other way would be called parallel or even side by side. Love these technical terms. Thanks, anyway, I guess I just wanted a bit of reassurance that my idea was not stupid. So twin grobeam 600's it is. Oh and controller.

Hello

20% max

Hope this helps.
My uncle has the 1500 tile and runs it about 80% on a high light 20" cube , so I guess 20% is low , I know the tile has the same amount of leds as twin 600;s but it will not look the same on 20%, as the tiles leds are all concentrate and the 600;s have them strung out over their length. But if that is what it take to be low light then so be it. I suppose it is better to have too much light and to be able to dim it, than not (like t5's).

Back