• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

GreggZ Planted Rainbow Tank!

Ed Wiser

Thanks Ed!

My tank would likely get DQ'd in a Dutch competition. It's more "Dutch" inspired as it does not follow many Dutch rules.

Your tank is looking great. If you go with more stems just be prepared......they grow.....a lot! Maintenance and pruning/trimming time will go up significantly.

Gregg I am retired. I have been keeping Aquariums for 60 years now.

Hanuman

Now are your sorry you asked?:D
I'm glad I did. As we say, a picture is worth a 1000 words but it's good to hear the artist behind the work too!
What I try to do is mix a variety of colors and leaf shapes to create something that draws your eye around the tank. Sometimes I am more successful than others, and I have found that some folks love it and some folks hate it. In the end matters little as it I pretty much just do whatever is pleasing to my eye. If I can sit for a long time staring at the tank and not lose interest then it’s what I set out to do.
Exactly that's the only thing that matters. The rest is superfluous.
Blyxa octandra, Hygrophila corymbosa 'Compact', Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin', Physostegia Purpurea, Rotala Mexicana Goias, Isoetes lacustris, Staurogyne spatulate, Lobelia cardinalis Mini.
Nice. A few that I have never grown.
So let’s take the Tulu you mentioned. I’ve kept it for a while but it has a similar color and leaf shape as other species that I keep. With everything else that I have I just don’t have a good spot to place it where it adds a lot to the presentation. That being said I kept a single stem just until I see how everything shapes up.
The only problem I see with that plant is that it needs to be located at its final place from day one as any uprooting and replanting seem to affect the plant heavily and it takes quite some time for it to have a good shape again. I've been trying on my 60cm tank to shape it an it's giving me headaches. I think the tulu would look very nice in the center of your tank at the back as a big bush but it would take several months to grow to a good size.

GreggZ

The only problem I see with that plant is that it needs to be located at its final place from day one as any uprooting and replanting seem to affect the plant heavily and it takes quite some time for it to have a good shape again. I've been trying on my 60cm tank to shape it an it's giving me headaches. I think the tulu would look very nice in the center of your tank at the back as a big bush but it would take several months to grow to a good size.
Yeah I have thought about that. But as you know Tulu is subject to sudden stunting. Why? Who knows it just doesn't like something.

I have found I have no problem growing it. Plenty of side shoots and gets nice and bushy over time. But when it pouts it takes a while to come back to peak form. I get a similar color/look with the Rotala Macrandra Caterpillar just to the left of the Furcata. And it is totally drama free. I can literally pull out the entire bunch out, rip off about 5 inches, then plop it back down and it never skips a beat. So choosing to go down the path of least resistance. At least for now. These things are always subject to change.

rzn7z7

Hi @GreggZ, the tank is looking great as always! What's the tall flowery green plant behind the Barclaya (between the pantanal and blood red)? Looks like something else to add to my wish list...

GreggZ

Hi @GreggZ, the tank is looking great as always! What's the tall flowery green plant behind the Barclaya (between the pantanal and blood red)? Looks like something else to add to my wish list...
Thanks @rzn7z7! That's Syngonanthus Sp. Meta. A no drama super easy steady grower that looks great. Will get as tall as you let it. Great for the background. Propagates steadily with side shoots so you don't need much to get started.

One caveat the softer the water the better.

GreggZ

A few days later and a bit different. Cleaned up a few things. Still working at it!!
20220816_193131.jpg

GreggZ

Is that Rotala Mexicana Goias up front? Looks like it to my naked eye. I added some in my new setup around a month ago. It's cute but grows rather slow for me.
Yep that's it. It's known to be a slow grower.....which may be good as I have enough weeds to keep me busy!

Hanuman

Yep that's it. It's known to be a slow grower.....which may be good as I have enough weeds to keep me busy!
Indeed that was my intention as well. In fact I am thinking of removing L. Meta from that tank. It's just a pain to have to uproot every week since it reaches the surface.
I want to see if I can make a tight bush of that Rotala Mexicana Goias. It grows rather erratically and crawls on the substrate if given the space.

GreggZ

Indeed that was my intention as well. In fact I am thinking of removing L. Meta from that tank. It's just a pain to have to uproot every week since it reaches the surface.
I want to see if I can make a tight bush of that Rotala Mexicana Goias. It grows rather erratically and crawls on the substrate if given the space.
My tank is 26" deep so fast stems have some room to grow. You can see I just cut down the Pantanal a few hours ago. I'll post again in a few days to show the difference. People think that plants growing an inch a day is a myth.......I can tell you it's true with a few.

GreggZ

I have been spending a good deal of time talking to some of the brain trust I have access to and am going to try and make my tank more "Dutch" like. Keep my "style" but bring in more Dutch elements. Worked on it today and made it maybe 20% more Dutch. Going to keep working on it and practicing to determine if maybe I want to go full Dutch and enter the AGA next year. A long way from that now but you have to start somewhere. You have to crawl before you can walk.
20220821_192807.jpg

Last edited:

Unexpected

I have been spending a good deal of time talking to some of the brain trust I have access to and am going to try and make my tank more "Dutch" like. Keep my "style" but bring in more Dutch elements. Worked on it today and made it maybe 20% more Dutch. Going to keep working on it and practicing to determine if maybe next year I want to go full Dutch and enter the AGA next year. A long way from that now but you have to start somewhere. You have to crawl before you can walk. View attachment 193036
I mean, you have just over a week to make an entry this year!

milesjames

Mate that sounds like a great idea!!

You have some fabulous plants to work with colour, texture and them being matured.

Can't wait to see it come to life 🙂🙂🙂

Hanuman

Going to keep working on it and practicing to determine if maybe I want to go full Dutch and enter the AGA next year. A long way from that now but you have to start somewhere. You have to crawl before you can walk.
Been saying the same thing to myself for the past year but each time I look at the rules made by Vin on the AGA website, I get cold sweats and I just go back to my freestyles. The amount of work to bring a tank to be a real Dutch is in my book beyond human, at least beyond myself 🤣

Hufsa

The amount of work to bring a tank to be a real Dutch is in my book beyond human, at least beyond myself 🤣
Amen to this, just the amount of practice and detail required to master lining up the stems to get the groups looking exactly right, and then time the growth rate of a bunch of completely different plant species so it all comes together for one picture.. as you say, beyond
I like a wide variety of tank styles, but the skill required for the true Dutch style I have a lot of respect for 💪

GreggZ

Been saying the same thing to myself for the past year but each time I look at the rules made by Vin on the AGA website, I get cold sweats and I just go back to my freestyles. The amount of work to bring a tank to be a real Dutch is in my book beyond human, at least beyond myself 🤣
Amen to this, just the amount of practice and detail required to master lining up the stems to get the groups looking exactly right, and then time the growth rate of a bunch of completely different plant species so it all comes together for one picture.. as you say, beyond
I like a wide variety of tank styles, but the skill required for the true Dutch style I have a lot of respect for 💪
Amen to both those replies. When I was just tightening things up and practicing I was already driving myself looney.

But I've done the same type of scape for many years now, and figured I might dip my toe deeper into the Dutch end of the pool for a bit.

Will I be able to create a true Dutch tank? Unlikely. But if I can create something that blends my style with more Dutch elements that wouldn't be DQ'd in a contest that would be an accomplishment enough for me. At least for now. We'll see where things go.