• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green tuft algae anyone?

Matty123

Hi all,

Happy Friday!

Getting a little frustrated with the reoccurrence of green tuft algae that I keep getting on my plants. It mainly appears on the plant that's featured in the picture (apologies I can't recall the name of it but it's the vallisernia looking one). I dose EI in accordance to aquarium plant food.co.uk (around 25-30ml's of macros 3 times a weeks and micros 3 times a week). I have good flow around the tank and plenty of co2 via an inline diffuser (drop checker light green at lights on and lime green/yellow at lights out). I currently add 4ml of Easycarbo per day (normal dose 2.5ml per day) 'overdosing' with the stuff in an attempt to get rid of it. Going on from James Planted Tank advise I mechanically remove the stuff and shot blast it with H202 every week and my filter is nice and mature and 'cleaned' every 2 weeks and no ammonia spikes. My tank is 129 litres (after displacement with gravel it's about 90 litres). Filtered by a Fluval 406 and a circulation pump so flow is good all round the tank (all tanks dancing/swaying). 60% water change every Saturday and good tank husbandry taken. Lights on from 15:00 and off at 21:45. Co2 on at 13:00 (2 hours prior to lights on) and off at 21:15).

Any help or advise would be welcomed thanks!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4a77da4c3f906e0bf1f101a2d60977d6.jpg
5625e87f6f854ac6b433f3a3f94e75ab.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I've stumped the experts! Typical me...

guess I've stumped the experts! Typical me..

I guess not and i'm far from the expert.. But in the end it isn't realy an expertise.. :rolleyes: And judging off a picture is always a long shot.. And actualy doesn't change the cause which is fairly generaly simular far about any kind of algae. One that comes to mind if it mainly occurs on one typical plant there likely is something not right with the health of this plant. It aint growing and metabolizing very well and becomes susceptible to algae attack.. Or it might just be the slowest grower in the tank and there is a tad to much light for it. For example Java or Anubias are such typical slow growing plants beeing the first to show algae if the receive to much light while the faster growers stay spot on clean.

For the rest it's a repetitive story with a link to the same articles over again.. No pun intended..
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cladophora-and-black-beard-algae.50899/#post-501699

I guess not and i'm far from the expert.. But in the end it isn't realy an expertise.. :rolleyes: And judging off a picture is always a long shot.. And actualy doesn't change the cause which is fairly generaly simular far about any kind of algae. One that comes to mind if it mainly occurs on one typical plant there likely is something not right with the health of this plant. It aint growing and metabolizing very well and becomes susceptible to algae attack.. Or it might just be the slowest grower in the tank and there is a tad to much light for it. For example Java or Anubias are such typical slow growing plants beeing the first to show algae if the receive to much light while the faster growers stay spot on clean.

For the rest it's a repetitive story with a link to the same articles over again.. No pun intended..
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cladophora-and-black-beard-algae.50899/#post-501699

Cheers!

Interesting, I get this on my bogwood and glass but not on my plants. I didn't realise it was an algae, I just assumed it was some sort of moss.

Interesting, I get this on my bogwood and glass but not on my plants. I didn't realise it was an algae, I just assumed it was some sort of moss.

Hi,

Whilst 'researching' this stuff I seen many an image of it growing on bog wood and it has to be said when it takes off it looks quite nice! Almost leave like. Aquarists on forums that had it wanted tips on how to maintain and encourage the stuff! Mine is most likely caused by inadequate flow. My flow is length ways (see image attached) and due to this my co2 and nutrients only reach the other end of the tank and isn't circulating back to the other end of the tank thus the plants at the far end are doing good but the other end has this green beard algae. I'd say you're getting it on your bog wood because the wood is hindering the flow. Most tanks do suffer with algae of some description on the front and rear panes of glass as it's hard to get 100% flow all round the tank especially in corners and straight edges (BBA, GSA, BGA etc...). My solution will be to make my own spray bar, where I'll be attaching it to the rear wall of the tank where the flow will only be traveling the width (which is only 13'' opposed to the length of 36'') I reckon it's the only thing amiss in my tank and I'm sure it'll come good with a much improved glow coverage. I've got all the parts on order and arriving tomorrow and cost me less than 9 quid!

39ebbfad496ed0ca8cbf6af2b3ea0fa0.jpg

I think mine may be Marino moss from an old moss ball I had in my tank a long time ago that spread in the water over time around the tank.

Looks like BBA from your picture?

Back