• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green spot algae question

Qwedfg

I have been having an issue with green spot algae in my relatively new tank. The tank has been up for 3 or 4 months now and recently green spot algae has been appearing my aggressively on my glass. The tank is full of stem plants, I use apt complete for fertilizer at the recommended dosage, have aquasoil for substrate and my ph drop at lights on is about 1.1-1.2 (I have been slowly increasing from about ~1). For lighting I am using a Chihiros WRGB 2 at 40% power (RGB all set to 40% power) which is significantly lower than the last time I had the tank set up.

Each water change I blow the substrate with a turkey baster and whenever I pull up stems to replant them I do a more significant cleaning of that section of substrate. I have read that phosphate can be linked to green spot algae and have been thinking about going back to mixing EI ferts as my APT complete is almost out. With the widespread success people have with APT I don't think that is the problem but I am curious about how to fix the problem so it seems like an easy thing to try. Can anyone give me advice on a next step to trying to eliminate the green spot algae? Other than that my tank is algae free.

I’d generally associated GSA with too much light, occasionally/potentially a long term build up of too much iron. If it were on the plants too, I would suggest it might be a systemic balance issue between lights, ferts and CO2. But if it is just on the glass, the glass is a prime candidate for GSA because it is such a reflective surface. That said, you say you have the lights at 40% already, which seems reasonable.

You could try dropping them more, to say 30%, to see if that helps, or you could try adding a DIY shade the reduces the light hitting the glass.

For me the main indicator would be plant health, so if you’re not getting algae on the plants, then front glass cleaning is sometimes just something you have to live with on some tanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will try going back to mixing my own ferts and going EI again to see how it goes. It seems like there are a lot of different targets for NPK that people use....could I get a recommendation on levels? Also I just have CSM+B and DTPA Iron for micros...I noticed people go pretty light on traces these days ...what would be a good iron level to target for CSM+B?

Thank you

Nitrate 20–30 ppm
Phosphate 1-3 ppm
Potassium 20-30ppm
CO2 30ppm

For me increasing phosphate to 7 ppm seemed to sort out GSA. Others have had less success though it's easy enough to try.
This worked for me by adding additional KH2PO4 to my existing APT 3 regime. I subsequently moved to DIY EI dosing about 6m ago and incorporated the extra KH2PO4 as part of it. Didn't eradicate GSA but substantially reduced it.
Cheers

This worked for me by adding additional KH2PO4 to my existing APT 3 regime. I subsequently moved to DIY EI dosing about 6m ago and incorporated the extra KH2PO4 as part of it. Didn't eradicate GSA but substantially reduced it.
Cheers
What targets did you use for NPK if you don't mind me asking.

I get GSA only on glass and AR mini. I tried to increase PO4 to 3 ppm and reduce iron dosage, did not help. Ended up just clean the glass often and cut leaves in a while. Also looking for a solution. All other plants are fine.

I tried to increase PO4 to 3 ppm and reduce iron dosage, did not help. Ended up just clean the glass often and cut leaves in a while. Also looking for a solution. All other plants are fine.
This is also my experience. I heard rubberlip plecos can be good at eating GSA, I may need to get some. Anyone know any other GSA eaters?

Hi all,
Anyone know any other GSA eaters?
Nerites (Clithon or Neritina spp.) <"will eat it">, they can crunch through quite hard surfaces to get at the chlorophyll. I associated GSA with hard, alkaline water, where these snails will be happy.
....... they even seem to sort out green spot, which is a sod to clean off glass.
rockalgae-resize-jpg.77333

I heard rubberlip plecos can be good at eating GSA, I may need to get some
I didn't know that.

I think the problem with Chaetostoma spp. is that they have fairly specific habitat requirements <"PlanetCatfish.com - Chaetostoma formosae (Loricariidae) Cat-eLog"> which doesn't make them very suitable for most tanks.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
My water is very soft and still get GSA. I use RO and remineralize to 3.5-4 gh with no kh added.

I am going to mix up a batch of EI ferts do you think 15/3/15 would be a good target for NPK and .5 iron per week for CSM+B

I get GSA only on glass and AR mini. I tried to increase PO4 to 3 ppm and reduce iron dosage, did not help. Ended up just clean the glass often and cut leaves in a while. Also looking for a solution. All other plants are fine.
3 ppm is not high enough. Try 7 ppm - that's what I do. I think GSA grows with mid-range phosphate (between 1 and 3 ppm) and less with either really low <1 ppm phosphate which plants won't like and also less with "high" >5 ppm phosphate.

Note that I add 7 ppm phosphate to Cambridgeshire tap water - I don't know the baseline tap water phosphate value.

Hi all,

Nerites (Clithon or Neritina spp.) <"will eat it">, they can crunch through quite hard surfaces to get at the chlorophyll. I associated GSA with hard, alkaline water, where these snails will be happy.

rockalgae-resize-jpg.77333

I didn't know that.

I think the problem with Chaetostoma spp. is that they have fairly specific habitat requirements <"PlanetCatfish.com - Chaetostoma formosae (Loricariidae) Cat-eLog"> which doesn't make them very suitable for most tanks.

cheers Darrel
I have a lot of them, does not help at all.

Hi all,
I have a lot of them, does not help at all
Shame, my water is too soft for them, so I've never kept them, I just got that they eat GSA from the internet......... . I think you need to give them a stern talking to and show them @Themuleous 's picture.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back