• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good Parvula / Bad Acicularis

GDM

Dear All,

I'm a bit confused.
My new tank has been up and running for three weeks. I bought immersed / in vitro Acicularis and Parvula.

As per my title,my Parvula is going great guns but the Acicularis is dying back terribly. There appears to be a little new growth on the Acicularis but this may be the last few strands holding on for dear life. Tank position does seem influential either.

I'm Ei dosing / have a nice lime green drop checker / twin external canisters and a tunze nanostream to help circulation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Best
Garry

Dear All,

I'm a bit confused.
My new tank has been up and running for three weeks. I bought immersed / in vitro Acicularis and Parvula.

As per my title,my Parvula is going great guns but the Acicularis is dying back terribly. There appears to be a little new growth on the Acicularis but this may be the last few strands holding on for dear life. Tank position does seem influential either.

I'm Ei dosing / have a nice lime green drop checker / twin external canisters and a tunze nanostream to help circulation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Best
Garry

There is less CO2 at the bottom of any tank. Carpet plants do require higher levels of co2. I recommend using a ph pen to do a pH profile so that you can see if youve actually got enough co2 in there.

do you mean submersed or emersed? immersed=submersed but people don't normally use that so I'm unsure :p

If its emersed acicularis, some of it will die off and look sad when you submerge it. Its best to chop it down short (~1inch) immediately after planting, which should spur on some new growth. If it doesn't recover and you want to try again, go to a garden centre pond section. I picked up a huge tub for 4 quid!

do you mean submersed or emersed? immersed=submersed but people don't normally use that so I'm unsure :p

If its emersed acicularis, some of it will die off and look sad when you submerge it. Its best to chop it down short (~1inch) immediately after planting, which should spur on some new growth. If it doesn't recover and you want to try again, go to a garden centre pond section. I picked up a huge tub for 4 quid!

Hi Rahms,

Yes it's emersed. Which makes sense. Again, looking tonight there does appear to be a little bit more growth.

It's really odd that I had emersed Acicularis, Parvula & Tennelus green all from the same source at the same time and only the Acicularis has died back. The other two have grown really well, especially the tennelus; it's going great guns.

How should I keep the Tennelus in check trimming wise?

Thanks for the reassurance - I'm learning nothing happens too quickly but it's tricky to know when to sit on your hands and let nature take its course.

Thanks
Garry

last time I had tenellus it didn't do much (no idea what I was doing!) but this thread seems to say just trim it like other grasses.

Back