• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

going down liquid carbon route

oscar

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of going down the liquid carbon route, and need some help/advice on what I'm planning.
I would try the co2 ( fire extinguisher route ) i know you can by all in one kits which have had great success but for sone reason I'm not ready for the complete move/ still unsure, perhaps just a bit of a leap?!?!

Anyway i have heard great reports on a product from Evolution aqua, Aquascaper liquid food?? seems to have everything needed/ as in micro/macro and has had input from George Farmer( British renowned aquascaper). Using this in conjunction with Easy carb looks to be a good road to go down?! Is reasonably priced as in money terms on my 130 litre tank.
Thoughts on this set up??

I have a fluval f90 of which i have a journal up at the moment on this forum. Of which I'm doing well with my java fern, but would like the opportunity of perhaps having a carpet plant/hairgrass / any other ideas on plants - as said i do have my tank set up photos on other forum/ if you want to have a look/see what you think.

Cheers guys...

LC would help the plants grow OFC but it would make the tank a high tech setup for which a filter output of 1300LPH would be advised and the the Fluval 206 does 780LPH so it would be less than ideal plus it is also dependant on the tank turnover which the filter is able to achieve with the present input and output fittings of your setup. Do the plants wave about in the current ? maybe a powerhead to boost turnover but them more equipment in the tank

If you have enough Flow/turnover will you have enough light getting to the bottom to get and keep a carpet going! this will also depend on your choice of carpeting plant OFC, Hairgrass may be possible but would definatly benifit from CO2 and maybe a better light. Tenullus green should work well but can take over quite quick. Micro swords might also be a good choice and not as prolific as the T. Green.

If you do need a more powerful light then you may also need CO2 :banghead:

Think I would use the LC (or not!) and add a few different small patches of carpeting plants and see which survives then you know what will work with your present setup. If they all die then CO2, better light and/or powerhead(filter upgrade) may be needed.

Thanks on the comments much appreciated :thumbup:
I think i have more than adequate circulation, yep the fern sure moves about as i have two Koralli hydro 1600 in there also( i have had some comments on my journal) saying perhaps that is to much. One is giving good surface movement , the other is positioned near the bottom.

I think i'll go with trying the carpet plants you have mentioned, is there any one reliable online retailer some of you use ?!?

thanks again...

Liquid carbon in my opinion is a temporary adjustment,I've been down the road on cheap co2 canister sets and 16g pressurised bell diffuser sets and it's a heart ache and pocket ache. Brings about black brush algae and all sorts of problems through unreliable co2 deposit. Liquid carbon is ok but beware it does melt certain types of plant species being valis, crypts and at higher dosage others.

The only reason i was going to go down the liquid carbon route was that it might be needed as I'm low to middle light. Taking everything into consideration if i dim my led to just below 50 percent that should give me LOW light.
Reason for this is that Im going to be using Evolution aqua, Aquascaper liquid food, and going by the instructions if you are using low light, YOU DONT NEED liquid carbon/only needed in medium to high light.

Has anybody else used this product?!?!
Also if they have, could i grow a carpet??

Back