• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glue for Heavy Rocks

Have you tried with the tissue paper trick?
You crumple up tissue paper, wedge into the gaps and then soak it with cyanoacrylate glue. It will crackle and smoke for a while then become rock solid.

Have you tried with the tissue paper trick?
You crumple up tissue paper, wedge into the gaps and then soak it with cyanoacrylate glue. It will crackle and smoke for a while then become rock solid.
I tried this. But I need a product name, which is not harfull for the fish. Most of them are harmfull.

I Have seen these videos. But I need a brand that's been tested that I can buy in the UK. I do not want to kill my fish.
Thanks

The problem with superglue (cyanoacrylate) underwater is that eventually it will break down, so I would not trust it for heavy and large rocks over a long timeframe. If you are tearing your scape down every 6 months it is unlikely to be a big issue, but if you need years long strength it is not a good solution.

@Regan see my suggestion above for OB1 - if you can support the rocks for 12-24 hours while it sets you will have a permanent bond that is rated as safe for human food applications.

Edit: from "Is Super Glue Waterproof?"

Can Super Glue Stay Exposed to Water for Long Periods?​

After you’ve bonded two surfaces or objects with super glue, you can expect the bond to hold up even underwater. However, there’s a catch — super glue won’t stay waterproof underwater forever. This is essential to consider, especially if you’re using super glue for items in an aquarium. This is because prolonged exposure to extreme moisture will eventually degrade the super glue.

If you used super glue to repair an item that gets minimal water exposure, it should keep the object in one piece. However, for something like an aquarium fixture or accessory, you’ll have to take the object out periodically and reapply super glue. For this reason, using a stronger epoxy would be a better solution than superglue.

I Have seen these videos. But I need a brand that's been tested that I can buy in the UK. I do not want to kill my fish.
Thanks
This is what I used. MOSS Scapers Glue 20g (liquid - for hardscape)

Brand is not important to be fair, you want liquid type (not gel type) as it best for saturating the tissue paper/cotton pad. To play it safe make sure it's only cyanoacrylate.

For attaching epiphyte plants to rocks or wood it's best to use gel type.

The problem with superglue (cyanoacrylate) underwater is that eventually it will break down, so I would not trust it for heavy and large rocks over a long timeframe. If you are tearing your scape down every 6 months it is unlikely to be a big issue, but if you need years long strength it is not a good solution.

@Regan see my suggestion above for OB1 - if you can support the rocks for 12-24 hours while it sets you will have a permanent bond that is rated as safe for human food applications.

Edit: from "Is Super Glue Waterproof?"
Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for. Should I get any version of OB1? I got quite a few results. Can you give me a link if possible?

You want the multi surface sealant and adhesive version of OB1 (the original stuff). If you use Screwfix here is the link to their page. Available in loads of colours but clear is usually the best bet, or for rocks black, brown and grey are available if that is better. The only downside is it is going to need supporting until it cures, it is not instant like superglue.

Back