• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ghosts first proppa scape

And is there a natrual stone I could add that would natrual supply more carbon, how is it done in nature
Er no. I assume you means limestone? This will just harden the water but will not provide any meaningful carbon to the plants. Ok some plants can make use to the carbonate in the water, but usually as a last resort and at great energy expense to the plant. Will end up causing issues.

Yes you can use liquid carbon instead of the cheaper and more efficient gas CO2. Also watch out as liquid carbon, especially at the dose levels you may will require with your light levels may/will melt some species of plants.

Hello Ian thanks for replying

I decided to run only one bulb, will use the second in the future when I decide to go pressurised,

I'm trying to avoid pressurised for a few month, but then I should have found somewhere to refill them, locally, maybe easier to get hold of a food safe cylinder, might be easier to get refilled,

What other plants could I add, and will the hydro leu bush out or just be stalky, thinking I have to many Amazon swords, want to replace them with something, what are good options

Last edited:
I e-mailed every fire extinguisher company in the local area, only got a response from one, but they gave me two 2 KG CO2 extinguishers, £5 each! That's all they have right now, but said they would happily supply more when they have them. It's worth calling around, eventually you will find something reasonable, the smaller companies are more interested than the bigger ones from my experience.

hey Ian, yes I have tried making contact with small family run company who will supply the cylinders, but as of refils,I'm would need that very local as I don't drive, have searched and searched,

Wisely hello, yea seems that the big company aren't intrested in the sale, I have a irm u near me that refils, butane cylinders, and a big pub chain so may ask them for suppliers details, only May seem funny when I ask to have a fe recharged, may be more expose inve to refill an fe in comparison to a food safe pub cylinder

Right

Hey guys a few updates I replanted a few things still not happy with the scape at all, may order another load of plants and try and follow a basic scape, really want to get things rolling, so I'm looking at buying lots of books and stuff

I love the look of a few scape themes especially the jungle type with Java, crypts, carpet, have gone of vallis tbh
I have pygmy chains and dwarf saggataria as my grass carpet, figure I could have the main carpet as pygmy chain, and the ward saggitaria leading into things as to break up lines, but like redmoor covered in Java and moss, so want to work a few things in, I was thinking mass on the left leading into a more open style in the right hence the Maponi, maybe remove the Maponi I don't

I really need help hear cause I feel it never sits right, maybe it's the plants, so a list of a few I can order, I don't mind having lots of plants around, have a 10g needing to rescaoe, just wanting this one running so I can move fish over

Here is my upfpdated pictures
image.jpg

I have pygmy chain all over foreground, dwarf sag around front of wood, hygro compacta around back left off wood leading to twisted vallis, back right of wood is Amazon sword, the hydro leu, under that is crypt wendti green next to the hydro is ludwiga, blyxa j is all around the stupid ornament, witch has to go, and then vallis on the far right

I trimmed the pygmy chain, to promote new shoots, may not work but hey trial and era lol
I'm onky running 1x 54w t5 I took top of juwel all the flaps and light ballast, saw all the juwel light housing so it's a flat piece, messed it up proppa cause it lost its strengh so was all droopy lmao, proppa funny at the time,

Going to get some plywood and yacht varnish Wednesday. Make a lid, add bonus of off gassing, and being able o have one bulb ceneter of the tank,

Will be using api co2 booster, at 3 ml a day and will up by 1ml a week Intill, and when I start I will add second t5 and start at 5 hours leading up by half an hour every 3 days Intill i reach 8 hours, then I will add an hour a fortnight, Intill i get alage, may work who knows :D, may get a fe co2 setup in a few months, will order 2x2kg fe so I have ages to find refils, but a new filter is needed right now, as I want back mounted spray bar, dropping in near front of glass, to get best flow I can

Sorry for the long post

Ggosty

fill it with stems, and crypts here and there. Lots of colorful stems about and you have the space, Alternanthera, c balansae, c bullosa ( now I know I spelt some of that wrong.). not a fan of the ornament, just get more stems and bushy pretty palnts! :)

fill it with stems, and crypts here and there. Lots of colorful stems about and you have the space, Alternanthera, c balansae, c bullosa ( now I know I spelt some of that wrong.). not a fan of the ornament, just get more stems and bushy pretty palnts! :)
Agreed more plants, but a great start fella!
Love to see you get rid of the internal filter(free up space) and sticking a external filter with spraybar! Its the way forward.
In my early days I hated internal filters they would clog up every other day.
Jay

Natural slate stacked would look way better, than the ornament like Karla had mentioned.
Plus I go to various woodland sites and pick things up for free kids think its a nature trail but its to find stuff for the tanks LOL!

Last edited:
Hey guys cheers for all the replies
IV been persuaded to go the co2 way so, getting all that setup and payed for is going to take up most of my funds, I di need to replace the gravel for 1-3mm to help the smaller plants plus I prefer the look of black, i d have a massive plant list ready on aquaessessntials so Asoon as payday arrives I'll order everything, hopefully there will be enough for an external filter, but I doubt it

I have to make do with what I have for now, witch is what I need some help in, I have numerous internals, plus a 1000lph powerhead, and of course the juwel, I need to get flow sorted before my co2 arrives, so then I just have changing gravel and re planting to worry about, and of course co2 setup, I figure as long as I have lots of plants, I can always take healthy stems and run them in a propagtor, if things go wrong

Make do with what you have and improvise, spending money does not always get the results you wished for. CO2 will definitely help, just concentrate on stability and routine. Get lots of cheap bunches of plants like that bushy one that starts with c that I cant remember, that way you can build up a fast growing background of plants that provide you with plenty of cuttings. Then once you have some rapid growth going on you try out the exotic stuff. :thumbup:

Yup I have a final budget as mentioned of 170 I will not spend anymore for a long time after that tank set me back a few to many pounds,

I got persuaded to go co2 and as I get my fe for free from a company sort of local, it makes sence, all I have to do is sort out a regulator, plants and black gravel, may be left with enough for an entry level canister filter, but we shall see, I need to get this done, cause my fish are awaiting thier bigger house lol

The plant your talking about is crypt bullosa p, and de it's in my basket ready for payday lol

Yes the crypts are good but occasionally can cause grief. This is what I was thinking of, they sell it everywhere and its cheap.
cabomba-caroliniana-var-caroliniana-4f7a014f37c6c.jpg

Oh cabomba, I personally don't like it, I'm a fan of leafs not that fuzzy stuff, I'll be sure to add some in the tank just for you ;)

Yes the crypts are good but occasionally can cause grief. This is what I was thinking of, they sell it everywhere and its cheap.
cabomba-caroliniana-var-caroliniana-4f7a014f37c6c.jpg

I'm a fan of Cabomba myself. I have some in my current tank. It grows really quick even without co2 and you have a nice bushy effect in no time. Before you know it you are replanting the tops often to form a new plant. If you're after a jungle look cheap you can't go wrong with some vallis. I dose liquid carbon with it and it doesn't melt like everyone believes! Also just plant the foreground with plenty of crypts and java fern

I have twisted vallis and that vallis ginger tea or whatever it's called :) just got let of by my gf to buy one external filter this week and one the week after, so now I have everything in motion

I might get shot down for this lmao
I'm going to get 2x jebao 403 cheap as chips, just what I like, lmao, will go to my lfs and get some cabomba to keep you two happy :)

I have twisted vallis and that vallis ginger tea or whatever it's called :) just got let of by my gf to buy one external filter this week and one the week after, so now I have everything in motion

I might get shot down for this lmao
I'm going to get 2x jebao 403 cheap as chips, just what I like, lmao, will go to my lfs and get some cabomba to keep you two happy :)

Lol, don't get it for me its your tank. This stuff can also cause grief, it is a pain in my **** to plant it.

Hey guys.

I have a few questions regarding high tech and wether its worth the intial costs

So i understand what I need to grow healthy plants, What I want to know is, if I add co2, how fast are growth rates compared to if I didnt.
I know in my tank right now there is a few things j need to upgrade before I even want to stock with fish and heavy plant, not need really to but I want to
The juwel filter is annoying me. It's flow is rubbish and messing around making spray bars still won't give me a better flow, then if I hadd 2 external filters, and as I still have a budget for the tank, I'm going to use it getting filters better gravel for planting, and a big lot of plants, the co2 is what I'm questioning

So what I really need to know
I have soil substrate and a 2x54w t5 ballast, I know from searching online forums that my specific bulbs out out a lot of oar, I am going to add sa 1inch black tap around the top of the tank to be able to drop the water level and add floating plants for my dapple effect I want to run both bulbs., I will slowly up the lighting from 5hrs increasing buy an hour each Intill alage,
Currently running only one bulb for 8 hours, no alage at all,
So do I really need pressurised co2, how much better would it be, will I be happy I have layer out the intial costs, or will be be in a loop whole of spending money on bits,

Cause as I say I can run two bulbs add floating plants drop the water level, and plant heavy, get good flow, dose some ei of needed, how big is the co2s push on plant health
And if my water is hard and high kh, would I benefit from softing the water a little?

Thanks for all the help so far, I can't wait to get some more plants and rescaoe, I think from everything IV learnt from you guys alone, I should easily be able do a better scape

ghosty

Back