• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting rid of the mist.

I had the aquagro running all day yesterday with a bubble stream too fast to count and the drop checker remains the same colour. I know it works as I have almost gassed fish in the past but nothing is happening now.

I've changed the reagent in the drop checker just incase, although the plants are not pearling and the fish are fine. Taken all components apart, cleaned, checked and changed the non-return valve.

I'm home all day today so I can turn the co2 up high and monitor it closely. Hopefully this will work, but I think possibly you have made a good choice in avoiding this product.

Let me know how the sera goes as think I may need to switch.

I will do mate, mine should come today but because I have a bit of modding of the lid to do will probably leave it until the weekend to set up when I can keep an eye out for problems all day. My tank is currently residing at another house so if I set it up in the evening I won't get to see it again until the next evening so any problems could be a disaster.

I did a lot of researching before buying this one and so far there are little negative comments which can be resolved with a bit of tinkering.
On the plus side the price is right, seems to do what its supposed to and out of the ones I have looked at look the least problematic when plumbing into an average size cabinet to hide it. The cons are break-ability so it might need some kid gloves when handling.

It has already been well documented in this board by various users but I'm hoping to get some pics and results in here to refresh for people thinking of getting one with some follow up. One thing I couldn't ascertain is how long it will last. Plenty of people saying it did it's job but can't find anything along the lines of it getting noisy or leaking after some time.

Nothing at all wrong with the aquagro. Checked again and there was a huge leak in the bubble counter joint. Have removed bubble counter altogether and it is working fine. It is noisy though.

To answer your original question, there is a mist, but hopefully all will be ok with the sera.

Glad you got it sorted can :) my stuff has just turned up. Only had a quick look to tease myself because I'm still at work but my first impression is OMG. Sounds like a stupid thing considering I did look at the dimension before buying but this filter is a monster! I hope I haven't went over the top. Lookes like its going to take some fancy plumbing skills and a few extra holes in the cabinet to get them running side by side. My fish have no idea what's coming their way :) I would say the filter is about a third the size of my tank. Ill probably have to up my ferts.

Managed to get everything plumbed in what a nightmare nothing seemed to go right :( I spent all day Saturday didn't like how I done it so changed it all on Sundays. I still don't think it running right, it's very difficult to see through the brown plastic reactor but using a light I can't see any bubbles traveling down through it. When I knock off the filter the co2 seems to escape into the top part in the outflow which I guess shouldn't be happening. It's difficult to see whether the bubbles are just getting ejected from the spray bar as I've done two large water changes so the whole tank is like a glass of champagne at the minute. Not having much look with my tank at the minute. If they are just getting a worl round then through out I don't suppose it's no more effective than just feeding into a pump.

Bit of an update, checked again today by filling up the top of the reactor with about 1/4 inch of co2 while the filter was knocked off which didn't escape out the top. Soon as I knocked on the filter the big bubble was just ejected out of the top and into the aquarium. A look with a light which is quite difficult to see as the tubing and reactor are both brown plastic and I can see that small bubbles are indeed being forced down the reactor. I'm glad I got the 1000 and not the 500 as these small bubbles are making it about half way down the reactor. On closer inspection small bubbles can also be seen exiting the top. In fact I would say more is going out the top than sent down.

I'll have to check with where I bought it and see if this is normal. I wouldn't have thought it was though as it makes the reactor pretty pointless and is just churning the bubbles and forcing them out as oppose to holding them in the chamber and dissolving them as close to 100% as possible.

At this point I was hoping to do a bit of a review with some pics but unfortunately my PlayBook has decided not to play ball with the video format and ill have to wait to tomorrow to speak to the sera rep. I can however say so far the 1000 is very good at diffusing co2 and very quiet. :)

Finally got everything working and some time not away from home with work. I have to say that I'm impressed with the sera 1000. My original issues with co2 leaking seem to have been by me not pushing the stalk for the want of a better word far enough up which was allowing co2 to escape while the impeller was spinning.
Couple of shots with it in place.
7110026011_9cd5194e3c_m.jpg

7110016605_ac03a0c503_m.jpg

As previously mentioned there is definitely an issue with breaking of the nipple where the co2 pipe connects, it's very fragile and is in the way most of the time when unscrewing the inlet pipe. I have used soft co2 tubing so it's easier to get off if needs be and can slice it with a Stanley blade. I have also put a non return valve just after it so shouldn't have to remove it to often.
Next time I strip it down I think I'll also put something on the connections to make it seal better and make removal of pipes easier , is vaseline ok?
Flow is somewhat reduced by the intake being approximately 10mm, I got the 1250 filter which has a loaded turnover of 850lph and small bubbles can be seen leaving the spray bar. Not 100% dissolution I guess but a few bubbles floating about the plants is no bad thing. Ultimately aesthetically more pleasing than the mist from before in my taste anyway.

This video was took before I had solved the leak issue, I'll post an updated one shortly which has much less bubbles coming out. Worth noting I have to switch co2 about three hours before lights on to get target and the co2 is still in the reactor about an hour and half after it's knocked off.

I'm guessing the video had been deleted due to it's size? It's the first time I've uploaded a video so is there a max size for using in the board?

huh? Now that is weird, so you can see my video in the post? It was there last night and now I can't see it on either my playbook or in firefox on my desktop. I'll take another look through IE maybe it's a flash issue or something.

Oh yeah thanks for pointing that out, it would appear it's only in firefox with my linux machines.

Back