• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

German Blue Rams ok with EI dosing? (high nitrate?)

Stitch

Hey,

Well, exactly 1 day after seeing this photo and having the fish described as Electric Blue Rams my LFS has received an order of German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams. :D
8176536793_4493320867_o.jpg

The fish are currently in quarantine in the shop after travelling and will be available in the next few days.

I'm really impressed by the German Blue Rams but slightly worried after reading about them online (ie: tough fish to keep, short life expectancy, cannot tolerate high nitrate etc). Do any of you have any experience in keeping them? I'm ok with tank temp, pH, Gh etc but worried that the EI dosing might be raising the nitrate too high.

The other option would be to take the Bolivian Rams but these would be a second choice behind the GBRs.

Finally, how many do you think would be a good number for a 120G? I was thinking 2 males with 3 or 4 females?

Cheers

I tried my hand with these fish after raising Discus with the thought, that the Discus thrived ,so why shouldn't these fish ?
I kept them in 50/50 tapwater R/O water, and two in eight, might live for more than a year.
No CO2,No fertz,(other than fish food's)nitrates around 20ppm by water change day.
Tank was unplanted,Driftwoood,leaf litter,sand substrate.
I very much like them, but they appear to me,,,to be quite a fragile little fish.

Thanks for the replies.

That link was VERY good. Really appreciate that, I had searched the forum but did not see that one.

If you can get any F1's from BCA members, they are a LOT more resilient than the fragile tank bred fish we have thrown at us. The BCA has a website which is well worth a visit, both as a source of good fish, and expert knowledge too.

Back