• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

German Blue Ram Fry - What Should I Feed Them?

The joys of fry tanks....
Sorry about the little ones, it's still not too late to save the rest if water gets back to normal. It's probably the reason they don't eat. I personally use tetra baby min as powder food, it doesn't ruin the water like hikari or liquifry, although one still need to be cautious. I am sure I've read about better ones but I haven't tried them.

As for the almond leaves, with a water like mine with a kh of 8 it has absolutely no effect to the ph, the kh goes down to 4 maybe but I add tons of them at a time.

Yes, sadly, the food that was mean't to help them killed them, probably because I was panicking and adding a lot, but then again, I didn't exceed the product feeding guidelines. I'm determined to give this a second attempt at some point but I'm going to let Mr. Ram and Mrs. Ram "bring up" the second batch of fry. Meanwhile, I've added some walter worm mixture to a gloopy substance of oatmeal and yeast so that I can feed this to the fry. The walter worm mixture that I added has been in an air tight bag for 5 days; would this have made the mixture defunct in anyway?

And thanks to Idcgroomer, I will start another culture off of the other type of worm.

As soon as the second batch of fry are here I'll let everyone know and document my progress. I'll let the parents take care of the fry as long as possible but when the fry get to a certain size I will put them in a floating hatchery/fry net in the main tank as the parents are well known for spontaneously eating their young!

Why don't you use one of the hang on holding/breeding box such as the Marina one I reviewed in the inverts forum? I use it for holding crystal/hybrid offspring. Tank water is circulated in the box so there is a constant supply of clean water from the parent tank. The air used to lift water into the box also gets lots of oxygen in.
Did the banana worms I set you arrive?

Why don't you use one of the hang on holding/breeding box such as the Marina one I reviewed in the inverts forum? I use it for holding crystal/hybrid offspring. Tank water is circulated in the box so there is a constant supply of clean water from the parent tank. The air used to lift water into the box also gets lots of oxygen in.
Did the banana worms I set you arrive?

I'd be quite concerned that any left over food might rot in the same fashion that it did in the fry tank. If this happened and the water quality became worse I'd lose all the fry and the parent stock.

The banana worms did arrive but I've been ill with a stomach bug which mean't I only opened the envelope a few days ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1405629332][/DOUBLEPOST]I thought I'd add that the parent GBR's are currently taking it in turns to guard 40 more fertilised eggs. I'm not decided as to whether I want to set the fry tank up or not as it might be futile in that its troublesome keeping the water quality within normal range and theres never any sign of life in these worm cultures that I keep setting up :(.

The nematodes require oxygen to survive. If you don't provide air they die. Pretty basic stuff really.

The nematodes require oxygen to survive. If you don't provide air they die. Pretty basic stuff really.

They had plentiful oxygen as there were holes in the container lid. I didn't want to remove the lid as I was thinking the worms may crawl out. Additionally, there is a pungent smell created by the yeast and some of the cultures I've used so I kept the lid firmly on so that the smell was contained.

I'm sorry, I thought you said you only opened the envelope a few days ago meaning they had been in sealed packet for p

You should have loads of banana worms by now then.

Unfortunately not as I threw the envelope contents away as it had been stud in the envelope for many days while I recuperated.

Thanks for sending them, but as the time came to use them, the fry had passed on and I'd contracted food poisoning and still have the food poisoning!

I've only just discovered this thread. Very young fry are often fed infusoria, which is a cocktail of microscopic organisms. Following this, microworms are a good choice and easy to culture. I've had success with infusoria, which can also be cultured at home but be careful where you get your live starter from. There is oodles of info about infusoria on the internet. Just google it. One thing that is very important when feeding tiny fry is to have live food as the fry are attracted to things that move. Liquifry can be used as a food source for infusoria.

You can be fully prepared next time.

JPC

Back