• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
. . . . I can't remember where I read it, but they apparently also maintain higher levels of CO2 in their greenhouse than standard atmospheric levels.

That's why the old Greenhouse natural gas heaters exhaust in the greenhouse and not via a pipe through the roof. The pipe through the roof would be a waste of precious CO². A clean natural gas combustion results in pure CO².

A professional big boy
sterling-tf400-gh.jpg

A smaller one for home use.
51tX1mjh6SL._AC_UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

I remember the old days when we all still had a water heater with a permanent pilot flame in the bathroom.
2011-afvoerlozegeiser.jpg

Back then for decades up till the mid-1990 pretty common in households, it takes the needed combustion air from the room and exhausts CO² into the same room. We had a fern in the bathroom that grew 10 x faster than the same fern in the living room. Much later I realized it must have been the darn little pilot flame giving the plant extra CO² 24/7.

I actually played with the idea to create a container with a pilot flame and an air pump to provide extra CO² to the aquarium. But till now it's just a concept idea i never really tried. I'm not sure if there is more in the exhaust than only clean CO² ending up in the water column. .

Exactly, my farther, god rest his soul, loved gardening. He had a couple of large greenhouses in which he used paraffin heaters. Aside from providing warmth they released CO2 and improved the yield of his of his various crops. I seem to remember they looked very similar to this but were blue.

1688756316350.jpeg

Hi all,

I'd guess that the sprinkler / fogging / misting system is <"probably rain-water">, it avoids problems with salt deposition on leaves and blocked nozzles etc*.

All the commercial nurseries I've been to in the UK recently are using <"rainwater storage"> and @George Farmer mentions <"Make your aquarium a success - Tropica Aquarium Plants"> they do at 10:01.

I'd guess they use an <"ebb and flood system"> to flood the benches and supply nutrients. You can see the depth of the staging in the Mother-plant section (behind George in the still frame) and that is definitely for ebb and flow. At 2:10 you can see the flood stage.

At about 5:00 you can see the roller arrangement for the trays. Once the plants are potted, they will move through the glasshouse in the same tray, always on the rollers until they reach dispatch. The only direct handling is immediately after propagation and immediately before dispatch.

*edit - Having watched the video I think that they try and keep the foliage dry for 90% of the plants they grow.

cheers Darrel

Lovely, thank you. I think I will try to split some nutrients in my schedule here in 2 ways, one in the water and one part as spray foliar feeding (thinking in mg, fe+micros or something…) trying to keep GH of the solution as low as possible for some rotalas.

Back