• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant cliff

Re: GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant c

viktorlantos said:
Mike, thanks for the tip on the fine fish net. I use the Tetra ones but they are still not enough fine. So will look after a finer one based on your feedback. Thanks mate. ;)

Another tip for cleaning up fine prunings ... leave it a couple of hours so they gather on the surface, then use a couple of 'sucks' with a Vax wet vacuum, and they're all gone ;)

Tony

Cheers guys, as IAPLC party is done we can share the photos on our tanks.

This is the one we sent to the contest and got 80th placement there this year.

6154957348_2ff722c4b2_b.jpg

A few thoughts to this photo might be helpful to all.

The tank was 3.5 months old at the shooting. This was enough to do a couple trimmings and have the super dense carpet. We used ADA ferts only to achieve this result. We trimmed the HC to have a skirt at the rocks which gives and interesting effect to the overall image. Probably because of that it's not that painful (or boring :D ) that we use only 1 type of plant.

Of course even on this photo a few things could improove the overall impression a little.
To have a better/more natural ripple effect with the 2 hairdryer :D
Do a bit less deepness with the lens so the tank looks more landscape then it looks now. Things like that.

For us this was a great test and challenge if we can do a same quality carpet as Mr. Amano does in the past with his similar setup. I think we performed well on this lesson. But shortly time for a new challenge.

The tank is still alive and doing well. But probably at the end of the year we will rescape it to have a new look to our visitors. Til that time we will throw this to AGA too.

Thanks for watching this journal and thank you for your feedback along the way. :clap: :thumbup:

I was following the journal and I have mentioned how much I like it, but this photo is great! I love it!

If to share a thought, the only thing that I would try to improve a bit is the lighting of the background. For my personal taste, I would lit a bit more the two corners as well...

But even without this, as I said that is a stunner! :thumbup:

Mate it looks just perfect. Congrats! :)

Regarding the photography use a large soft box next time for the background, you have enough space to put one there, or a large white background lit with 2-3 x t5 at the bottom and 1 x t5 (slightly larger than your aquarium) this way you won't have the side shadows and the overexposed rocks.

Mike

Antoni said:
I was following the journal and I have mentioned how much I like it, but this photo is great! I love it!

If to share a thought, the only thing that I would try to improve a bit is the lighting of the background. For my personal taste, I would lit a bit more the two corners as well...

But even without this, as I said that is a stunner! :thumbup:

Thanks for your feedback Antoni :thumbup:
Yup the lens was not the perfect for this job and the area where the tank sits was a bit harder to light in. That's why the background looks graded.

But we will work on that next time for sure. :thumbup:

clonitza said:
Mate it looks just perfect. Congrats! :)

Regarding the photography use a large soft box next time for the background, you have enough space to put one there, or a large white background lit with 2-3 x t5 at the bottom and 1 x t5 (slightly larger than your aquarium) this way you won't have the side shadows and the overexposed rocks.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your warm words :thumbup:
Yup that's correct. Unfortunatelly we had only a small space behind the tank to do the trick and with those equipment we did not had better options. But will prepare better the next time. :thumbup:

We shoot 4 tanks at one night. And this was the last one when everyone was super tired at night. Actually 4-5 people worked around the tank with the lighting the black canvas which we used to avoid reflections, the 2 hairdryer, camera... So there was not really a space for more guys or equipments ;)

Thanks for your feedback guys. :angelic:

This is my favourite out of the 2 iwagumis you've done Viktor.On a level with Mr Amano himself. :thumbup:

An additional 2 lights would of made this even better. I found 4 lights over my 120 was not enough.

Mark Evans said:
This is my favourite out of the 2 iwagumis you've done Viktor.On a level with Mr Amano himself. :thumbup:

An additional 2 lights would of made this even better. I found 4 lights over my 120 was not enough.

Thanks my friend. We will do next time. :angelic:
Thanks for your nice words Mark. :thumbup:

The following capture i did last weekeend. Just before the trimming. The shot was captured in this tank. Used a macro ring attached to my 17-40L lens. Too bad the rings are not really for this lens (had to move super close to the target even on 40mm), but i managed 1-2 good shots.

The HC field looks amazing. On a close up it looks like an emers field. Noone would tell this is a field which submerged nearly 8 months ago. :D

To all HC fans:

6157744709_9d61ccb02c_b.jpg

andy is drooling at that HC carpet close up!

viktorlantos said:
Thanks for your nice words Mark.

And very true words mate.

Honestly, if this was in an Aqua Journal, with slightly better lighting (which is already good) I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. I'd of put money on it that amano had done it!

i'll +1 on Marks comment. A true piece of art Viktor!

Thanks guys, i love to read your feedbacks. Means a lot ot me. :thumbup:

Even a simple plant can teach a lot and i love this part of the hobby. It's a lifetime learning.
That's why i come back every day to see what kind of stuff you guys have :D

I appreciate for all the stuff i learn here. :clap:

Cheers guys. Thanks for all of your feedback. :clap: :thumbup:

2 days ago i trimmed the carpet. For some reason the full trimming and netting took only 1.5 hours compare to the earlier 4hrs average speed. :D

Here it is as of today....

6174512615_8268b1ffee_z.jpg

6174513647_dae88cff15_z.jpg

6175047844_03b2717360_z.jpg

6175048816_18627d3a01_z.jpg

Amazing Viktor! :wave:

Tony Swinney said:
It looks superb Viktor - the compactness of the growth must be testament to your pruning skills !

I have a question ... what is the thing on the bottom of the right hand inlet pipe in the tank ???

Thanks

Tony

Cheers Tony, Yup this is amazing how compact it is. Funny but the HC was so strong that as it climbing to the rocks this pull out itself from the soil. So now some part is floating and only the rest of the carpet keep it on the bottom :wideyed: :D Will see how long we can keep it.

That stuff is a filter mesh from Gush. A useful tool especially as i trimmed down the bottom of the glass inlet with the ADA Wave Scissor :lol: So til we fix it with a glass blower we had to put something up to protect the CRS babies.

Wow, that's some seriously healthy HC Viktor :thumbup:
For it to look that lush and green just 2 days after pruning is truly amazing.

Cheers,
james

Back