• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flygja's 60cm NAC

flygja said:
Luckily she doesn't go for my fish or shrimps. She just watches them. They've even gotten used to her and don't hide anymore when she shows up.
I thought all ginger cats were male?

EDIT: Seems she in a minority, as 75% of ginger cats are male! (unconfirmed statistic)
Sorry for the off topic comment.

My cat is a stray, so she's probably not a regular statistic :lol: Found her at the carpark of my apartment block mew-ing away for 2 days. Her left rear leg was broken at the knee and she was missing her tail. My wife decided to save her and 3 years later, we can't imagine life without her :thumbup:

Guess what? I found someone with a PAR meter who was willing to lend it to me! The person has asked me not to reveal his identity so I can only show some results instead :twisted:

About 1 inch from an LED and it reads
DSC01850.jpg

Massive!!

But once we reach the water's surface (still in air)
DSC01852.jpg

Dropped quite a bit.

And just below the water's surface
DSC01853.jpg

Dropped some more.

At this level, Ludwigia inclinata verticillata var Cuba is starting to turn a bit red in the veins.
DSC01856.jpg

That is quite a lot of PAR.

Here's where Ludwigia brevipes is starting to turn orangish.
DSC01857.jpg

Right in front of the glass.
DSC01858.jpg

Quite a lot of PAR! Too much I think, Tom Barr measured a tank with a full HC carpet and it only had about 50 umols

At the front too but on the right side where the hairgrass is growing much nicer and thicker.
DSC01859.jpg

Only 2/3rds of the PAR in the middle. Lush hairgrass might have to do with better CO2 distribution perhaps.

At the back, middle height..
DSC01863.jpg

So low! Now this I didn't expect. Now I know why the stems behind were slower than the ones in the middle. As a result of this, I have raised my lighting by another 10cm to get a better spread. PAR reading around 90 umols with the substrate still around 90 umols. Will try this configuration and see.

I've always had this feeling the soil is really low on nutrients, so I got some Osmocote.
DSC01775.jpg

And turned them into root tabs. Inserted 4 of them around the stems, let's see what happens in the next few weeks.
DSC01777.jpg

Hey Flygja,...I think the reason the PAR is higher near the glass there is probably due to the reflection of the light by the inner surface of the aquarium glass. I get similar readings in my tank. Lowest PAR being right at the centre of the tank halfway between the substrate & water surface,...probably due to the least amount of light being reflected off the aquarium glass.

Nice one Flygja :thumbup:

faizal said:
Hey Flygja,...I think the reason the PAR is higher near the glass there is probably due to the reflection of the light by the inner surface of the aquarium glass. I get similar readings in my tank. Lowest PAR being right at the centre of the tank halfway between the substrate & water surface,...probably due to the least amount of light being reflected off the aquarium glass.

Nice one Flygja :thumbup:

Yeah, I think thats the case too, based on comparisons with that PAR youtube video which I have conveniently forgotten to bookmark again and again. Hahah.

Thanks Gary for the kind comments.

Antoni, I live in Malaysia and I got it from a traditional chinese medicine shop where they usually pack their own supplements using ground herbs. You could also get it from eBay. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories. Don't forget to think of an excuse to tell your parents/friends/girlfriend/the cops that you're not starting your own drug business :lol:

flygja said:
faizal said:
Don't forget to think of an excuse to tell your parents/friends/girlfriend/the cops that you're not starting your own drug business :lol:

They're for my plants Narc! You've got nothing on me! :thumbup:

I've been a bit busy lately, so finally got down to providing a short photo update before and after a trim. Here it is before:
DSC01865.jpg

The dreaded BGA is back. Smaller amounts this time thankfully, which were manually removed.
DSC01868.jpg

And here is the after shot:
DSC01878.jpg

You may have noticed the triangular ruler in the corner. I bought 6 purple harlequins and 1 of them jumped barely an hour after being put into the tank. Someone told me they were jumpers but I really wasn't expecting it so quick. So I remembered Amano's trianglular ruler thing here and placed one there. No jumpers for 2 days! Weird, but it seems to work. :geek:
DSC01871.jpg

Had to remove a lot of Anubias leaves as they had GSA on them. Didn't even remove all of them, just the most badly affected ones. I really dislike trimming my beautiful Anubias.
DSC01881.jpg

Feeding time...
DSC01872.jpg

Uninvited guests showing up! I love Neon tetras, they seem to hunt around for food rather than just grab from the surface during feeding time.
DSC01874.jpg

Nice ,...nice tank buddy!!! :D

Your fissidens looks really healthy too. Mine started having some goey greenish stuff over it after a few days,...so I removed them , washed them under running tap water & placed them in a tray sort of half emersed & now their are looking great. :crazy:

I am beginning to think that they need really good flow & over their leaves to do well. Do you have a chiller Flygja?

Really nice tank there. :thumbup:

Thanks Faizal.

Does the gooey greenish stuff smell bad? If it does, then its probably BGA - theoretically bacteria and not algae. Not sure about Fissidens and flow. There are some Fissidens on the left side of my tank which sits in probably the lowest flow in the whole tank. They seem to be doing well too. Yes, I have a chiller to keep the water between 26-27deg.

I really don't know what it was. It wasn't smelly though. Anyways I had removed all my mosses because I didn't want to risk it then. The rest of the stems are doing well,...I might give mosses a try later when I am a bit more confident.

Triangular ruler failed. The rest of the purple harlequins have all jumped and met their doom on cold hard tiles :arghh:

Thanks spyder, its Fissidens fontanus or US Fissidens alright. You can also see how hairgrass burrows itself quite deep. Is it just Jap hairgrass that does this? Could explain why they grow short on the surface.

Spent some time over the weekend to re-build my LED luminaire. While the previous one was sufficient, I felt that I wasn't getting enough light spread, especially over the back where the stems need it the most. So I got myself some aluminium bits and changed it from 2 rows of 6 LEDs to 3 rows of 5 LEDs. It's also running without a fan right now with only the aluminium pieces dissipating heat. So far so good. The luminaire gets hot to the touch but not too hot I think.
DSC01906.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

Borrowed 2 Apache gunships from a friend of mine to get rid of the snails.
DSC01891.jpg

This fella seems to be getting into it barely 5 mins in the tank.
DSC01894.jpg

Continuing to cultivate some more mini pelia. Seriously slow buggers...
DSC01890.jpg

And I really wonder why the hairgrass right at the front in the center just isn't carpeting. It's been 3 months! I don't think light is an issue, since there's massive amounts there. Flow probably isn't too because I can see bubbles floating past it.
DSC01898.jpg

This is such a nice and informative journal. How is the tank doing now?
regards,
fandango

Back