• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Roma 200 Light Upgrade T5HO, Will this work?

Thanks for clarifying all of that for me.

I purchased some new plants yesterday which I've not had success with in the past so here's hoping.

I was also putting all macros in at one go and all micros the next day since I lost interest, but will now spread dosing out again as I read that's better.

I will also start using some of my liquid carbon again which has been unused for months. I'm start real low at 2ml as had issues with that and fish in past also.

Now just need to order the steel cable ties and some good quality root tabs and see how things go.

Thanks again.

Hi all

First post, so don't flame me please :eek:

My Roma 200 has been going for somewhere near 8 years using the standard hood and T8 bulbs. I've used all-sorts of different blubs, but never been able to get great plant growth. The tank has changed a lot over that time, but some of the original Crypt's are still going!

Anyway... I installed a Co2 system (from Co2 Art) over Christmas 2014 (1 bps) and started dosing 20ml Neutro+ every day. Plant growth was much better, but still not great. Today I installed a T5HO with x2 39w Full Spectrum bulbs into the standard hood, and would you believe within 4 to 5 hours one of my Java ferns started to pearl. I have never seen this from any of my plants before.

Install...

I tried to install both the T8 and T5 bulbs so they could run at the same time, but it just got too fiddly so I chose T5's only. I was also worried about going from 60w total (from the T8's) up to a combined 138w! I had already upgraded the standard reflectors some years ago (Arcadia I think), so decided to leave these in place and fix the T5 bulbs to them. I removed the standard bulbs and end caps and then drilled 2 small holes (2mm drill bit) at the bottom of the reflector on each side making sure I went into the hood. I actually used the original reflector clips as the marking, but to be honest it doesn't really matter where you drill the holes as long as you support the bulb evenly.

I know pics would be good at this point, but not got any to hand yet.

I then screwed the mounts on using some very small but wide screws (about 4mm width) so as the hole into the hood was as water tight as I could get it. With the mounts fitted I just clipped on the clips and fitted the bulbs. I did take my time in making sure the bulbs and cables were all neat and in the right position for when the hood is placed back on the tank. This is not easy as there's so many cables! I found that the cables to the end caps could be tucked under (or over depending on which way your viewing the hood) the T8 fixings, so that keeps the cables out the way. The cables that run from the front of the hood can be tucked down inside the side V shape on the side of the hood. Doing this means they don’t drop toward the water. They also don’t foul up how the hood fits onto the tank. The hood will still fit snugly. At this point I gleaned a bit of advice from another forum which really helped with the fitting…

“Get everything in place within the hood then put the ballast unit on top of the hood. Lift the hood up and put in place on the tank. A second person can be useful here. Feed the ballast and the cables down the back of the tank and then tidy up as you see fit”.

I did this and it worked fine. I then mounted the ballast inside my cabinet (vertically) with a couple of screws and used cable ties to tidy up the cables the best I could. It still looks a bit of mess, but a tidy mess!

After all that I powered it on and thought… yes that’s better. So much more light intensity, plants were really green, and my Neon and Cardinal Tetra’s were positively gleaming.

I’ll try and get some pics up when I do my next water change.

All in all (so far) a good upgrade that took me a couple of hours.

J.

Hey Jason

Thanks for posting.

I'm glad to hear your upgrade went well for you, as I know its a tricky job whichever route you take unless you know your DIY.

I am still running my T5 bulbs with my T8 bulbs coming on 2 hours a day for a little burst of extra light. I see you removed the T8 bulbs so at least maintenance should be a bit easier for you.
I don't dare remove my lighting hood now as like you say you really do need a second person and I've got all four bulbs still so I just have to remove both lid flaps and push the unit to the back and do my water changes etc with just about enough room for my arm to get in.

I hope you can start enjoying more plant growth now as it does make a massive improvement unfortunately for me my fish just do not cope with CO2 that well, and liquid carbon low dose was about my only benefit but now I just feed the plants now and then.

I am also suffering with a massive outbreak of BBA, most likely as I've now stopped all CO2, liquid carbon didn't effect the BBA at all so in the end just gave up. I have read there are some ramshorn snails which eat BBA so I might get some snails and see how that goes. I just wish I could of had a tank like many members have on here but unfortunately I didn't quite get there due to limiting factors but I wish you the best of luck.

You also said you had your Roma for 8 years thats amazing lol, when I first got into the hobby 3 or maybe 4 years ago now my first tank was a Roma 90 then I upgraded to a Roma 200. In all that time I've not seen many new tanks being sold at my LFS or online, I know there is a new Fluval tank out this year but I think its a marine tank and quite expensive. Its a shame in this hobby there are not more companies out there making a wider selection of designer tanks especially new fresh water tanks with closed T5 lighting hoods. I have mine next to my tv so a custom tank with a hanging or clipped on light fixture will be to distracting but hopefully in the future when I have my own place I will just buy a glass tank like most on here and then get a lovely luminaire that does it all + the extra space. :D

Best of luck anyway. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Jafooli

I've had my fair share of ups and downs over the years, so don't be put off... keep going. I managed to grow plants reasonably well some years ago with the T8's and feeding every now-and-again, but never to the standard I wanted. At least I've now got a good start (Co2, ferts, lights) into getting the plant growth I want. Still a long way to go, and pretty sure my next issue will be even flow of Co2 throughout the tank!

Maintenance with the new lights might be tricky. I'll have to do what you're doing until I can work out an easy way to get the hood off without pulling cables everywhere. It may in the future mean I'll open the hood up and fit the lights correctly within it.

8 years is a long time. I'll post some pics up in the Newbies section when I get 5 mins of the tank over the years. Even more amazingly is the fact I still have a Black Widow Tetra that has been in the tank since December 2007! Now that's longevity.

I thought the choice of tanks is pretty good at the moment. My local Garden Center and Maidenhead always seem to have plenty to choose from. However... a custom built tank with a suspended hood in a huge room would be awesome. Unfortunately I don't have a huge a room and a wife who would like to see a sofa where the tank is :shifty:

J.

Back