• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval flex filler vents

TimmyTP

I'm about to start a flex 57L tank, I've purchased the media boxes for chambers 1&2 from Intank to improve on the filtration on the tank, the fluval has top and bottom inlets , I'm planned on making the water flow top to bottom through chamber 1 then up the up the side and then top to bottom on chamber 2 if that makes sense!! the only problem i am seeing is the bottom inlet on the tank will knacker up my plan 🙃 would it be wise to block off the bottom inlet so that I just get water only in at the top or is this going to cause problems.
Hope this makes sense.

As water is drawn through the bottom inlet, it'll also draw water through the plants in that area.
Could you end up with a dead spot?
Maybe stick with your plan and add extra circulation?

I assume these are the charterhouse aquatics ones? They are pretty expensive, I don't think the benefit in these is worth the cost, I would maybe return them.

The bottom inlet removes debris from that level of the water column and gives nice even flow on that side of the tank so I would advise keeping both. I do have an aftermarket raised inlet on mine with a sponge as my substrate covers it otherwise. I don't cover the top inlet either so it acts as a skimmer.

I have my heater in the first chamber with a medium and fine sponge over the entrance to the second chamber. Sponges are easily removed for cleaning each week. The second chamber has two bags of filter media which are sat on a piece of rough sponge (replaced with carbon sponge if and when needed) to stop them going all the way to the bottom and again easily removed for a rinse once in a while. Final chamber has the pump which is also sat on a pad of rough sponge to help stop vibrations. I swapped the original pump with an eheim which is slightly more powerful and a lot quieter.

I've had good success with this setup so far. Flow is good, water is clear and stable and maintenance is easy. Are you planning to stock particularly messy fish? I have neons and a male guppy in mine (to stop him knocking up all the girls in my community constantly!)

I can get some pictures later if you like.

As water is drawn through the bottom inlet, it'll also draw water through the plants in that area.
Could you end up with a dead spot?
Maybe stick with your plan and add extra circulation?
Thanks for the reply Simon👍
I've got an eheim 600 on order to improve water flow if that doesn't work I'll start to think about external filtering.

I assume these are the charterhouse aquatics ones? They are pretty expensive, I don't think the benefit in these is worth the cost, I would maybe return them.

The bottom inlet removes debris from that level of the water column and gives nice even flow on that side of the tank so I would advise keeping both. I do have an aftermarket raised inlet on mine with a sponge as my substrate covers it otherwise. I don't cover the top inlet either so it acts as a skimmer.

I have my heater in the first chamber with a medium and fine sponge over the entrance to the second chamber. Sponges are easily removed for cleaning each week. The second chamber has two bags of filter media which are sat on a piece of rough sponge (replaced with carbon sponge if and when needed) to stop them going all the way to the bottom and again easily removed for a rinse once in a while. Final chamber has the pump which is also sat on a pad of rough sponge to help stop vibrations. I swapped the original pump with an eheim which is slightly more powerful and a lot quieter.

I've had good success with this setup so far. Flow is good, water is clear and stable and maintenance is easy. Are you planning to stock particularly messy fish? I have neons and a male guppy in mine (to stop him knocking up all the girls in my community constantly!)

I can get some pictures later if you like.
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I get what you mean about the cost 🤫 if it doesn't work maybe I'll be using them as an expensive ornament 🙁
I'm running my heater in the third chamber with the pump, I'll be definitely leaving inlet top clear.

Hi @TimmyTP
I have a flex too and I couldn't stand the noisy pump, instead of replacing it I decided to cut the back plate out and 'open up' the tank. I've put an internal filter in there which will be hidden by plants eventually. I'm not sure whether I'll regret cutting that plate out yet but I could easily replace it with some silicon.
Anyway, it's just an idea you might want to consider. That bottom intake was in an awkward spot and the gaps were definitely too big. I had ceramic media under the sponge in the middle section and pump and heater in the 3rd column.

I have a Flex for 2 years.
I am using chamber 1 for ceramics media in a nylon bag. Chamber 2 is for a sponge. Chamber 3 is for a heater and a return pump.
The standard Fluval pump is noisy and too weak, especially if you are injecting co2.
The standard Led light is OK for low light plants. I am using it as a moonlight along with the 2 APS Led fixtures glued in the hood.
The most annoying thing about this tank is noise and vibrations of a plastic hood/plastic dividers.

I ofI have a Flex for 2 years.
I am using chamber 1 for ceramics media in a nylon bag. Chamber 2 is for a sponge. Chamber 3 is for a heater and a return pump.
The standard Fluval pump is noisy and too weak, especially if you are injecting co2.
The standard Led light is OK for low light plants. I am using it as a moonlight along with the 2 APS Led fixtures glued in the hood.
The most annoying thing about this tank is noise and vibrations of a plastic hood/plastic dividers.
Hi @Valodia could you send a pic of your modded hood please? Has it allowed you to grow more/healthier plants?
Cheers

I have a Flex for 2 years.
Hi Valodia
I was thinking of running chamber 1 and 2 the other way round sponge first then media, as Dave has asked any chance of a pic of your hood.

Hi, here it is. There was another led fixture right behind the built in light. Used clear silicone to glue the extra lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_084258.jpg
    IMG_20210315_084258.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 191
I use a second flex light glued to the lid as well. I bought a 2A (from memory, double the standard) transformer plug and a splitter and run both from the same socket.

Back