• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 406 Bypass Problem

Bertie

Hi,
Anyone got any experience with the Fluval 406? I have had this for a couple of months and I think that it may have a bypass problem. I have had a problem with particulates in the water column ever since I started using this filter, and it is appearing not to go through the filter system. I have been watching and it appears that the return pipe from the filter is actually throwing the stuff out of the filter. I did a water change and filter clean this morning and it is even more obvious that the detritus is coming from the filter return in a small but steady amount. I stripped the filter back down and cannot see any obvious reason for this has anyone any ideas? as this is getting annoying now.

Could it be coming from the ribbed pipes? Mine throw out this weird white flakey stuff now and then, usually when I've given the pipes a clean or moved them about a bit.

Thanks Julian,I suppose it could be but have not had experience of ribbed piping.

I think stuff builds up in them after a while, then when you move them about or clean them, it breaks up. As soon as I used to turn my filter on, I'd get a huge cloud of the stuff. Might have been limescale now I think about it. Looks similar to what's in the bottom of my kettle.

If you wanted to test your filter, chop up a plant or something and let it get sucked in, see what comes out the other end.

Could it be coming from the ribbed pipes? Mine throw out this weird white flakey stuff now and then, usually when I've given the pipes a clean or moved them about a bit.

I read this thread before you replied and thought "hm thats strange, I wonder how it could bypass the sponges." Only after you mentioned the pipes have I realised I had almost exactly the same problem as Bertie :oops: I'd clean the filter, put it back together, turn it on and WHOOMPH my tank would be covered in what looked like decaying leaves. Definitely the hoses. I found that fully removing them from the intake/spraybar/filter and blasting tapwater through them got loads of gunk out. Also the fluval stop valve itself seems to store a fair bit of dirt (again, running tap through it while opening and closing).

Back