• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval 307 leak

PARAGUAY

Got a slight issue with the Fluval 307 ,Did a filter clean, nothing drastic light squeeze of sponge, bio left as with a slight rinse, A impellor clean When returning back on started up fine, luckily l was in but about 30 minutes later leaking at clips ,Checked O ring and reassembled but still leaking,temporary put Fluval U4 in with some seeded media and ordered new O ring
O ring replaced and everything seems OK no leaks but seems slight cardboard thick gap on filter head ,not leaking but wondering why any gap shows? Clips don't have a strong snapping action like some filters but l believe that's normal and water pressure when on secures the seal? Anybody any idea on the slight gap?

Paraguay,
That is normal. On Fluval 307 and all the other similar filters, you have a round gasket similar to the O rings, which you mentioned, that you have replaced. This main gasket works the same way as the o rings, sealing between two vertical surfaces, so it will work as well 1 mm up or down no matter the size of the gap. The clamps are there for keeping the pressure from inside from pushing the head up.
So keep that gasket well greased and if it's starting leak, replaced it with a new one. Clamping it harder will not do any good.

Thanks Goldfish,it's been OK no sign of leaks, just sort of realised had it a while so like you say O ring , gresed new one with some food grade silicon grease

Hi I used to have the same problem with my Fluval 304. What helped was to buy a slightly thicker than the original o ring. What I did was to visit a shop that sells all types of gaskets. Of course I brought the old oring and asked them to give me a new one( much cheaper than the original) .Upon explaining the situation one guy suggested that I bought a gasket slightly thicker than the original. Not only this gives a better seal ,it also doesn't need replacing!

Use at your own risk! External filter failure could be catastrophic!

Is food-grade silicone grease the right type? I thought I heard it has to be some specific high-grade silicone grease, but I am not sure what that means exactly...

@Bradders , Could be a new conversation , l was under the impression that products like Vaseline were not recommended as they in time dry up on the seal damaging the rubber, Food grade silicon grease is used in the food industry to prevent harmful contamination by petroleum based industrial silicone grease , l assumed all the aquarium companys o ring sealant products are food grade for those reasons?

@Bradders , Could be a new conversation , l was under the impression that products like Vaseline were not recommended as they in time dry up on the seal damaging the rubber, Food grade silicon grease is used in the food industry to prevent harmful contamination by petroleum based industrial silicone grease , l assumed all the aquarium companys o ring sealant products are food grade for those reasons?
Yeah, I am not sure. (Asking as I really should get some myself!).

s-l1600.jpg

Well it must have been the O ring on filter head ,no leaks since and will now replace every 12 months or so

Back