• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flowering Bucephalandra

Levels of CO2 in natural freshwater environments is certainly an interesting subject. But I’m not sure how relevant it is to us as hobbyists. Other than lack of carbon is a limiting factor to growth and aquatic plants have developed several strategies to obtain it, but by far the most efficient is the absorption of CO2.

For sure injecting CO2 gives greater wriggle room, in some respects, and a greater number of species to choose from but I don’t think anyone of sound mind would try to argue it’s a panacea or a substitute for good horticultural practices and tank husbandry. Either way there are many routes to success 🙂

The only thing I take issue with is when people use their successful high tech tanks to somehow "prove" and universally downplay the importance of water parameters and a more meticulous dosing approach.
Ok, that's a fair reply and I'm more than happy to conceded that in low tech situations water parameters may well be of more importance than in high tech set ups.

So, please, don't try to fabricate claims that elevated CO2 is "natural". Up to some 5-6 mg/L, perhaps, but not any more.

Not quite sure how you made the leap from me saying bucephalandra in its natural environment will have access to co2 levels above 1 ~ 2 ppm, and then go on to accuse me of fabricating claims of natural co2 levels, but hey I take your points on board and respect your opinion.

Anyway, the point remains that all of us here are passionate about growing aquatic plants, that's something we all have in common. How we achieve said results can be open to debate, hopefully friendly debate.

@MichaelJ apologies for taking the thread down a winding path.
In an attempt to bring it back on topic I thought I'd share a picture of something that only became visible to me today after thining out some of the growth in the tank. Remember me mentioning a buce that's been flowering on and of for the last couple of years? Well it's at it again.
20240115_185548.jpg

I have heard that some selections are more prone to bloom underwater than others, suggesting that it has at least as much to do with genetics as how it's grown, though I don't know if that's true. I have one clump that's thrown a few flowers over time and it seems pretty robust. I think it's unlikely that flowering would be the primary sign of stress anyway. In other species I've seen bloom from stress, the plant looks terrible except for the flowers. It's generally not a secret condition.

@MichaelJ apologies for taking the thread down a winding path.

No worries John. At least for the few years I've been around, the best threads on UKAPS are the ones that branches off a bit :)

In an attempt to bring it back on topic I thought I'd share a picture of something that only became visible to me today after thining out some of the growth in the tank. Remember me mentioning a buce that's been flowering on and of for the last couple of years? Well it's at it again.
View attachment 214836
Love it!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to read the rest of the thread after my post, but wanted to follow up my original post as I had it happen again. Got a nice big clump of Buce from a buddy - he brought it to me in a plastic bag (in the bag about an hour) and I immediately put it in the tank and floated it for a day before anchoring it. The day after I got it in place I noticed it had started to flower. I have seen many, many happy buce that continue to flower underwater, however, so I assume there are many reasons.

Back