• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow in a cube

jameson_uk

I have a 30cm cube with a JBL Cristalprofi M filter (kind of Hamburg Matten Filter).

This creates flow I kind of a triangular pattern leaving the back corner largely without flow. I have some java fern in that corner which is existing rather than growing which I suspect is down to flow.

Other than replacing the filter (which seems great for shrimp) any ideas to generate a little flow? Even the tiniest powerhead would have far too much flow for a 22l tank

I have a 30cm cube with a JBL Cristalprofi M filter (kind of Hamburg Matten Filter).

This creates flow I kind of a triangular pattern leaving the back corner largely without flow. I have some java fern in that corner which is existing rather than growing which I suspect is down to flow.

Other than replacing the filter (which seems great for shrimp) any ideas to generate a little flow? Even the tiniest powerhead would have far too much flow for a 22l tank
What about the APS surface skimmer. https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/surface-skimmer/surface-skimmer-250l/ you can turn it right down as it's adjustable, may be a little fast at first when the sponge has just been cleaned but it slows down pretty quick and has the bonus of skimming the surface and a venturi so you can open it up at night and bubble some o2 in.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Are these safe for shrimp?
They have a small grill over the top so ok for adults not so for babies. I've seen people put sponge or fine mesh over them though.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

If there is space enough maybe you can add a small underwaterpump "through"the mattenfilter ( poke an extra hole through it)
I use these to run mattenfilters:
SuperFish_FilterI.gif

If there is space enough maybe you can add a small underwaterpump "through"the mattenfilter ( poke an extra hole through it)
It is not a true mattenfilter but a kind of cross between an internal filter and a true mattenfilter. You could not use anything else behind the foam. I have through about creating a whole 30cm foam wall for a true mattenfilter but I think that is an experiment for another time.....

I think looking at the skimmer that a bog standard sponge filter might be answer as it would take up the same space, give low flow and also give the shrimp something to feed on.
Need to have a think as having the JBL filter in one corner and a sponge filter in the other all inside a 22l tank doesn't seem ideal.

Back