• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floaters and movement

jameson_uk

Since amending the surface flow on my tank my floaters (frogbit and salvinia) are doing much better (to the point I am regularly thinning)

They all tend to end up at one end of tank and start overlapping each other (which I guess will end up with plants starting to rot and die off).

The spray bar is currently blowing along the length of the tank but only the back corner section is actually flowing across the surface with the other two sections flowing down into the water.

I have a tiny pump I picked up some time ago which does 180 - 500 lph. Just wondering whether the floaters would actually prefer a little movement rather than sitting still at one end of the tank? I have tried the pump in the opposite corner to the spray bar and it gets most of the floaters moving constantly but not so much the look like they are in a vortex.

Any thoughts on whether they might prefer movement or bunching up?

Any thoughts on whether they might prefer movement or bunching up?

From my experience with dwarf water lettuce, they don't like too much of either, but as long as the leaves stay above water, they'll do fine.
If water movement or bunching up makes them go under water, even for a small amount of time several times a day they will start to struggle.

On my opinion, between moving and bunching without getting the leaves wet, I'd say they propagate faster when bunching in a corner.

Back