• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish recommendations wanted!

chickennublet

Hiya!

I'm looking for fish recommendations for my existing tank. I'm using it to house Corydoras which is presently my favourite genus of fish. Unfortunately, they are bottom dwelling fish and some species are very shy, so my tank looks rather empty. I'd really like to see them more often and I am wondering if some dither fish might help them with that.

I actually have a very small group of ember tetras and Siamese dwarf rasbora in this tank. I've had the ember since I started keeping fish in late 2018 and had 15 of them at one point but they aren't very long lived and I've most of the group over the years. I think the last time I increased my school of ember tetras was in June of 2022 when I bought 5 of them. Currently have just 8 of the Siamese dwarf rasboras.

The top dwelling fish used to be fairly brave and swim out in the open, but have recently started to hide a lot, especially when they see movement around the tank. I'm not quite sure what brought on this change of behaviour but I suspect that the low numbers of fish might be causing it. I also feel like they struggle to swim in this tank because of the flow. So i'm now considering my options.

I will probably not get anymore of the rasboras since these are endemic to Thailand and I think i'd like to stick to South American fish for this tank. I will care for my current group until they inevitably die off.

I love the brilliant colours of the ember tetras, but I'm not sure if I will get anymore. I love their brilliant colours but i'm not sure if they're shy now because of their low numbers or because of the current.

I think I have two options now. Either I get more ember tetras and hope the whole group gets braver, or I care for my current group until they die and I get an entirely different species. Maybe Hyphessobrycon sp Muzel Red Cherries because they resemble larger ember tetras which I reckon might be able to withstand flow better.

Please pardon the rambling post but would be grateful for some input! Thank you.

I'm a big fan of the Hyphessobrycon genus. Depending on tank dimensions I don't think you could go far wrong with any H. spp. A pic of your tank would be nice.
Is it this one?

Hi, Can you mention how big your tank is?

Have you visited Green Chapter? I visited 15 years ago and met with Ron and the other members and was blown away at his expertise. How about barbs? Rummynoses perhaps?

I'm a big fan of the Hyphessobrycon genus. Depending on tank dimensions I don't think you could go far wrong with any H. spp. A pic of your tank would be nice.
Is it this one?
it's this one yes!

Hi, Can you mention how big your tank is?

Have you visited Green Chapter? I visited 15 years ago and met with Ron and the other members and was blown away at his expertise. How about barbs? Rummynoses perhaps?

90 x 30 x 30cm. Yes i've been to Green Chapter, it's a very nice store! Not familiar with Ron though. Is he the bespectacled man with long hair?

Back