• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish recommendation

Saying all that I'd probably double or triple the amount of harlequins first to see if you actually want another species. I tend to think less species but larger groups looks best and even with shy species, at high numbers you tend to see a lot of them.
Ok, after MUCH thought and consideration and YouTube scrolling, I think I’m going to give this method a shot first. I will be in New Orleans next week and will see what I can find down there. IF I happen to stumble upon a nice group of black neons, I might come home with those also. Which brings me to my next couple of questions.

Depending on my schedule and the hours that the shops are open, I may have to get the fish and hold on to them for a day or two before coming home. Would putting them in a 5 gallon bucket (or two), with an airstone, indoors at room temp be ok? I could do small water changes or not. And add doses of Prime or not. And if that will work, would I then bring them on a 5 hour car ride home in the buckets or bag them up?

And if all of this sounds like a bad idea, I can just order them online.

Thanks for all of your input. It’s been really helpful.

Well, this is how Cory from Aquarium Co-Op did a long-distance transport of fish. Hot rooms, plenty of air, treated water and containers!

I guess the advantage of this compared to postal is that you have direct control and monitoring of the little lives under your care.

Saying all that I'd probably double or triple the amount of harlequins first to see if you actually want another species. I tend to think less species but larger groups looks best and even with shy species, at high numbers you tend to see a lot of them.

Good advice, you often see better behaviour, there is usually less issues and in my subjective opinion, it looks much better - I hate fish soup tanks with far too many species and not enough within to shoal/school properly.

Back