• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish in drop checker!!!

MirandaB

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen?
Last week one of my rosy loaches managed to swim up through that minute gap and curl round the bulb:eek::eek: pretty sure it was accidental as it happened when I was feeding them and they are a bit hyper.
Had quite a job getting it out and thought it was a goner but it seems to be none the worse for the experience although I'm sure the bromide blue solution can't have been good for it!
Will it affect the drop checker at all if I place some sort of guard over the end made from tights?

I'm certain it was a freak occurrence and will probably never happen again but would rather be safe than sorry.
They are very active fish and when I feed them they are shooting about all over the place, I think it was just bad luck it shot up the drop checker....they are slim fish but I still can't believe it got through that tiny gap.
Thanks for that Yo-han,will go ahead and pop a bit of tights over it :)

I'm sure this happened to someone else on the forum too!
Its crazy that it can actually get in there.
I doubt it would ever happen again.....

Lol no much worse than that as my drop checker is the sort of question mark shape!!!
I have enough trouble shaking the bromo solution down into the bulb so god knows how the fish squeezed through!

I think with this type of DC it is more likely (shorter air distance). Also is this one filled with water so no air barrier to overcome for the fish.
Pic was taken after I tried to rescue it as it wasn't happy swimming in bromo blue...

Those rosies really are very slim. Tried some in a breeding setup recently with a mesh to protect scattered eggs. Mesh hole diameter can't be more than 4-5mm and the little buggers just dived right through it.

Thanks for the heads up on that,I now know I need smaller mesh :D
Finally managed to track down some lady loaches today albeit only 3 who are very young but a month in the QT tank with plenty of live food should sort them out :)
Have to say I'm a big fan of them,great fun to watch especially at feeding time when they're trying to mug each lol rubbish pic of one of the lads

9117914867_34eb1d805b_c.jpg

Back