• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish for a high light environment

pseudodiego

Hi everyone.

I'm putting together a 75 liters aquascape and I was thinking about what fish to put in.

It will be a triangle aquascape with Rotala Rotundifolia, Rotala H'ra, Rotala green, Anubia nana, Cryptocoryne parva, Montecarlo, Eleocharis, higrophila pinnatefida and alternatera Reinicki mini. The tank will have over 50 lumens per liter, which is a lot of light. I see that in those types of aquarium is common to have tetras species, but those are mostly blackwater species and I'm not sure if they are truly confortable in a intense light environment

So, is there any beautiful nano fish that lives under intense light in nature?

Thanks.

I chose black neon tetras for my 180 l scape, in part because of them being tolerant to high light. Apparently they live in both very clear and black water in the wild. I heard about them being very tolerant to high light and my experience seems to confirm that. I have a Twinstar 900SA (v.3) on full intensity and they don't seem bothered at all by it. I also have some ember tetras in another scape and contrary to the black neons they easily get stressed under higher light.

I chose black neon tetras for my 180 l scape, in part because of them being tolerant to high light. Apparently they live in both very clear and black water in the wild. I heard about them being very tolerant to high light and my experience seems to confirm that. I have a Twinstar 900SA (v.3) on full intensity and they don't seem bothered at all by it. I also have some ember tetras in another scape and contrary to the black neons they easily get stressed under higher light.
Thanks, it seems like a good option.

I have been reading and it seems that the Celestial Pearl Danios live too in shallow and clear water.

Welcome to UKAPS :)
I'm intrigued, perhaps start a journal so we can follow your journey.
Mmm, I might do it yeah.

The tank will have over 50 lumens per liter, which is a lot of light.
Hi @pseudodiego Lumens per liter is a very vague concept - at least it has very little meaning without knowing the tank measurements (height in particular) and how high the light sits above the tank, diffusion etc. or if you put in a lot of floating plants or have a lot of tannins (from peat, wood etc.). Fellow hobbyists here usually like to talk about PAR - which is the accurate measurement, but with one big caveat for practical purposes as hardly anyone owns a PAR meter - and for good reason, as it usually cost you more than 300-350 GBP/USD. And of course, if you want to run a really bright tank you have to make sure you have the CO2 to back that up.

So, is there any beautiful nano fish that lives under intense light in nature?
I would say most tetras will be fine in a relatively brightly lit tanks... in nature, most, if not all, "blackwater" tetras are found in clear(er) waters as well... but in order to avoid stressing the fish I would provide some shaded areas with tall emerged plants and floating plants where they can seek refuge - always a good idea regardless. My tanks are dimly lit and my tetras tends to congregate around the brighter areas, but they seek out the shaded/dark areas when they get spooked - oddly, in the tank where I keep Embers they are the most curious ones... contrary to their reputation.

Your tank sounds like a great concept - you should make a journal with pictures and all as @Tim Harrison suggests.

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Try lemon tetras, they are okay in high-light tank and even bred 2 times in my iwagumi-like tank.

Back