• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish fodders signature

fish fodder

Hi guys,

After a few mishaps (I expect a few more), I got my TMC signature thanks to George for his inspiration, made up the cabinet yesterday and just placed the hardscape in the tank for now.... Please don't expect anything amazing as it the first time I have done anything like this on a larger scale and I'm taking my time with it all so there won't be tons of photos.
Here it is at the moment. Still unsure of lighting and substrate so any pointers will be appreciated. I'm leaning towards an all pond solution 60cm luminaire at the moment (cost) and tropica base with a decorative small gravel top layer.
Thanks for looking and ill try to answer any questions.
Steve

pFGckLG.jpg

Great tank! Lovely hardscape too.:) Maybe you could use sand instead of gravel as that might be a little bit more comfortable if you were going to have bottom dwellers.Otherwise great choices. Depending on your budget, you could also look at TMC's range of LED lighting such as the Mini LED 400!:)
Cheers

And not sure of sand, I have it in other tanks and it goes bloody everywhere. I'm thinking of a unipac fine grade gravel. Not your standard pea gravel

I don't know about the LED because you may need 2 depending on the plants you were going to keep. They are expensive though so if you factored in the price of the brackets too it would cost rather a lot! A for the gravel, are you planning on corydora catfish? If so, you would need to find a really small gravel as the barbels can get damged quite easily if the substrate is too rough.:)

No cories. Been fishkeeping for about 25 years now (started young lol) just new to planted tanks, high tech, low tech, EI etc... I would imagine it will have some sort of tetra or microrasbora and possibly a pair of betta if I decide to cover the tank. I have been looking at the TMC tiles too and it could be an investment (cheaper in the long run) I would however like to just use liquid carbon if I can get away with it. Don't want too difficult plants

Fair enough, gravel it is then!;) If you were going to just do low light plants then you could maybe use just the one. I think you can adjust the intensity of the lights so you could run one at just the right amount. Microrasboras will look great in a nicely planted tank! You may want someone elses view on lights though that knows a bit more about the matter!:)

Good luck with the scape, as for the lighting, if you're not going to be using pressurised c02, then go for a 60cm t8.

Great start and good looking hardscape ive been researching the same tank and lighting was my first thing from what ive found out 2 tmc 400 mini are perfect for the tank size and in the world of led a bargain the only thing I was advised is that a tmc power commander (if that's what they are called) might be needed to control lighting level although you could just raise them high up. Good luck with the tank I will be watching with interest
Mark

Not much happening really.... Ordered a pair of white mountarays today so it looks like I'll be getting a tile lol.... I have next week off so I'll be scaping it :) can't wait. Will put photos up too when it's done for some critique ;)

Back