• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish advice for new project

parotet

Hi all

I'm changing my 65 liters tank (60x30x35) into something really simple... plants and only plants, no wood, no rocks. The background will be black and it will look like a dutch (not really posible in such a small tank but at least there will be rows of plants with different colours and leave shapes). Plenty of room for swimming.

I want to introduce some new fish... small, colourful (at least good contrast with plants and black foreground), shrimp-friendly (few fish are with shrimplets, but I don't want a shrimp eater) and (I know it is not that important) adaptable to liquid rock water (GH 23+, KH never measured but up above in the skies). There is also quite a lot of flow and high CO2.

The family wants cardinal tetras but I'm not sure if they are much too large and active for a 60 cm tank. Are they? Last time they chose at the LFS we got some rummynose tetras and I'm not proud of it, it looks like they need at least 100 cm to school. Green neon tetras are IMO more in scale with the tank and they can give a beautiful shining contrast, although it is not a very adaptable species as far as I know (maybe the most strict black water of neon/cardinal/Green tetra group?). For the family the list continues with platies (fun for the kid but much too large for such a small tank IMO, although I have to recognise their colours are amazing) and X-ray tetras but are they active swimmers as rummynoses? Anyway, not sure if they can be compared in colours with the previous ones. Gouramis are also in the family list (only the sparkling gourami in my list) but they won't be happy with the flow and only a few specimens would be posible.

Danio erythromicron are in my list... but only in my list. You know what I mean. Miss watching some YouTube videos and saying... this? you say you really want to put this in the tank? Come on... :rolleyes:

Despite these comments regarding tiny lovely fish, I will increase my Boraras urophtalmoides population (have a 10+ group at least) but I guess they are so small that they can live together with the new inhabitants. I also got some Otocinclus that will stay in the tank. Some remaining minnows and male endlers will be moved to another tank.

Any suggestion?

Jordi

Threadfin rainbow fish, I've kept them well in London tap which is hard water, they colour up nicely the males sparing is awesome to watch.
Also in my list but 'too brown' for the masters of the house... Lol
Are they so nervous as Pseudomugil species? Gertrudae is also awesome and with more colour

Jordi

Obvious choice is Danio margaritatus (celestial pearl danio). Lots of interaction, small and ideal for your size tank, breeds easily, prefers hard and alkaline water, and, of course, are among the most beautiful fish in the hobby. They don't need a heated tank and can actually be kept outside for a good part of the year. They have tiny mouths, so probably no issue with shrimp. Make sure to feed them with brine shrimp occasionally. What are you waiting for...?;)

Thomas

Obvious choice is Danio margaritatus (celestial pearl danio). Lots of interaction, small and ideal for your size tank, breeds easily, prefers hard and alkaline water
Do they prefer alkaline water? Love them!

Do they prefer alkaline water?

I think something like 7,4-7,6 was measured at the type locality in Myanmar. You could check Seriously Fish.

Ender is right, they do best in a group: aim for 10-15. In my shallow tank I had a few jumpers, but in a taller tank with good planting this should be less of a problem.

Thomas

I have my CPD's in water that is hovering around neutral. They are breeding so this is fine for them. I have 15 and they are always out and about. I guess the more you have the more confident they are, although they definitely are not a tight shoaling species by any stretch!

Back