• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First timer NEWA Mirabello 60

upload_2018-7-8_11-37-27-jpeg.jpg

Niton
Is this the one you are referring to?
It's certainly not central but as far as the thirds are concerned it looks perfect.

As yours is viewed from all sides a central Aquascape would be perfect. It will require a mound like above low but not too low and only low plants otherwise one viewing side will be blocked.

Wow that is a very interesting photo of a very good selection of well sculptured rocks.

Note on the Aquascape all the visible rocks are not in a perfect curved line and not touching each other.

In you Aquascape it would be a case of placing the DW in the center and supporting it will the biggest rocks tapering to the smaller rocks to get the overall shape.
As you place the rocks the substrate can be added between the rocks for the plants.

Your next step is start on the Mock Tank its not just for beginners I know Tim uses it and another Aquascaper prepares his competition Aquascapes that way as soon as his tank is completed he is working on the next Aquascape in the Mock Tank.

42452248474_6c5217f754_b.jpg

Tims well made Mock Tank

Keith:wave::wave:

Last edited:
OK - no real updates. Will hopefully setting up a mock tank tonight/tomorrow.
Instead I've been getting together a load of prepatory bits and pieces - pH meter /TDS meter (just ebay cheap ones).

Also been considering power cable management and figuring out how best to reduce 3 separate power supplies to just one! Think I've resolved it with the use of a raspberry pi and some relays to create a very basic smart aquarium!

Anyway - will update over the weekend with some ideas on hardscape in the mock tank.

OK so first rookie mistake made...
I knew the box the tank came in was bigger by about 50mm in all dimensions (to allow for packaging). I figured this wasn't too much of a difference and would still give me an idea for layout.

As soon as I placed the internal filter, as shown in the picture previously, I saw how big the difference was. Giving a wholly false perception of the tank and available space.

So I've been busy reducing the box to realistic (hopefully more accurate) measurements

Pleased with the result and can start mocking layouts properly.

IMG_20180714_092929.jpg IMG_20180714_092823.jpg IMG_20180714_092908.jpg

Did you cut off the other 2 sides? With the corners on you could put a ‘lid’ on it. I hope I didn’t complicate things too much!

Niton

Cutting all the sides out its a first for me never seen it before. To me its very confusing looking at your Mock Tank. OK it might be easier to photograph for you but never heard of that before.
In other words for someone who has been recommending the Mock Tank for many years on this and other Forums I would never recommended it.

Making out of cardboard is OK but has its restrictions. Using a solid material it can be used many times and size changed very easily.

After you cut the sides have you changed any of the hardscape if not I can see a few points that I would change.

Keith:wave::wave:

Took delivery of the bog wood today. Three nice big pieces.

View attachment 116302

View attachment 116302

View attachment 116304

I'll need to cut some it to fit in the tank. I'll not be using all of it just the interesting pieces that would fit an island or peninsula in conjunction with the stones. The wife would like a moss 'tree' and scape but I'm not sure that's feasible in such a low tech setup.

Anyone have any suggestions on how best to cut these (positionally I mean - I've plenty of sawing implements! ).

Niton, where did you get your bog wood from please?

If anyone has been keeping an eye on my critique post I've pretty much settled on a layout.

So next step is to prepare the tank.

I've got some of this stuff
15320172577971613674606619858774.jpg
To serve as a base in the tank. I've seen a few people who recommended using something before the substrate and hardscape (is it to protect the tank or improve water circulation?)

Before fitting I'll clean the tank. Updates to follow...

Back