• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time fish tank - comments/suggestions?

NorthCoast

A few weeks ago I was looking at a friends 75 gallon planted tank and then went down a rabbit hole on YouTube/these forums and it has really sparked an interest.

Anyways, this is my first time setting up a fish tank/trying aquascaping.

The tank is an ADA 45p (45x27x30). Initially I was going to go for a 20-30 gallon but the wife isn’t as excited as I am so I settled on this 10 gallon betts tank for my daughter.

The hardscapenisnt exactly what I had initially planned, and I was going to go for something in a little more random/natural but as I played around with the materials I had this just kind of worked. The plan is to heavily plant it, and hopefully lean into the triangle composition, with mostly a variety of green plants with red in the top right (some red background plants)

The bottom right with the sand and white rocks will be filled in properly after planting, just trying to minimize the mess. Currently sitting full of water and filter running with APT start. Doing a 3-4 week dark start, followed by loading plants and then introducing snails and shrimp a week or two later. Following that maybe 8 ember tetras, and then a few weeks later introduce a young betta. My thought is establishing the other fish, and maybe using a breeder box for the beta within the top corner may allow the betta to adjust without murdering the rest of the stock.

Anyways, as I said I’m brand new to this so any comments or ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
Love your choice of wood. Looks great.

Not sure of the wisdom of API start, without something to start the cycle. Some use ammonia, I favour plants.

Thanks!

I should have mentioned 2 weeks ago I had no interest or knowledge about fish but something about the plants/fish/snail/shrimp eco system type tanks really interests me. So no suprise of there is a lack of wisdom haha

I did use APT Start, which if I understand correctly (I probably don’t) should have some bacterial starter and is intended for dark starts in particular. That being said I’m sure it may be a bunch of marketing and pixie dust.

My understanding was that the tank should probably be cycled after 3-4 weeks

That being said, would using an API quick start not get the cycle going?

Cheers!

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
Not sure of the wisdom of API start, without something to start the cycle.
APT Start? I think it includes ammonia as well as "nitrifying bacteria" <"https://www.amazon.co.uk/2HR-Aquarist-Aquarium-substrate-enrichment/dp/B0BTD3CF1S">. If it is "API Start" <"https://apifishcare.com/product/quick-start">, it says "suitable for saltwater and freshwater aquariums" which would worry me.

It won't do any harm, but it wouldn't do any good either.
I favour plants.
Plants and time...
Honestly that is the answer, you don't need to buy anything or add anything, just plant the tank up and once the plants are in active growth, after 6 weeks or so, <"your tank is fish safe"> and "cycled".

At UKAPS we've talked to some of the leading scientists working on the microbes that perform nitrification in aquarium filters (including <"some Canadian ones">) and their research has shown that things are <"very different from the traditional view of cycling">.

Have a look at <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">, this is what Dr Newton said
It is a good question to ask where the initial inoculum of nitrifiers comes from & it is a question that I do not have a definitive answer. Nitrifiers are present in many environments because they can live with comparably low external nutrients (carbon particularly). There are a couple of good possibilities, 1) the water - most municipal water systems contain some number of nitrifiers, which then come out of your residence tap; 2) the plants - nitrifiers are also commonly associated with plants. Or, it could be they drift in from the air - seems less likely, but it is not impossible.

If you do need to add nitrifiers the best source is from an aquaponics or aquaculture system that is already running and removing ammonia. Some water or sediment/soil or part of the biobilter (if there is one) is an excellent starter. Without this source as an inoculum then you could add some roots from plants from any other tank that is running - these are likely to have nitrifiers associated with them. A small clipping put into the tank would be enough.

In some lab tests we found that adding previous material from a running biofilter could reduce ammonia oxidation start-up time from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 days. We also tested a commercial product of nitrifiers & it did decrease the time to ammonia oxidation start-up. It was slower than our biofilter material transfer, but much quicker than doing nothing. However, the microbes present in the system from the commercial product disappeared over a few weeks and were replaced by those more common to our system. So, it seems some products could help “jump-start” the process, but it will be a lot less predictable and ultimately may not determine what microbe succeed in the long run.

cheers Darrel

Thanks!

I should have mentioned 2 weeks ago I had no interest or knowledge about fish but something about the plants/fish/snail/shrimp eco system type tanks really interests me. So no suprise of there is a lack of wisdom haha

I did use APT Start, which if I understand correctly (I probably don’t) should have some bacterial starter and is intended for dark starts in particular. That being said I’m sure it may be a bunch of marketing and pixie dust.

My understanding was that the tank should probably be cycled after 3-4 weeks

That being said, would using an API quick start not get the cycle going?

Cheers!
Also, if relevant I’m using tropica aqua soil which I understand has a fairly high release of ammonia in the first weeks? Part of the reason I was going with dark start was to hopefully give the tissue culture plants I will use a better shot of survival. I will be planting all easy plants with no co2 added to the tank. The plants will have a couple weeks to start growing before I add the shrimp/snails as well.

Obviously this is based on the patchwork of information I have gathered and I’m sure is not overly scientific

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,

APT Start? I think it includes ammonia as well as "nitrifying bacteria" <"https://www.amazon.co.uk/2HR-Aquarist-Aquarium-substrate-enrichment/dp/B0BTD3CF1S">. If it is "API Start" <"https://apifishcare.com/product/quick-start">, it says "suitable for saltwater and freshwater aquariums" which would worry me.

It won't do any harm, but it wouldn't do any good either.

Honestly that is the answer, you don't need to buy anything or add anything, just plant the tank up and once the plants are in active growth, after 6 weeks or so, <"your tank is fish safe"> and "cycled".

At UKAPS we've talked to some of the leading scientists working on the microbes that perform nitrification in aquarium filters (including <"some Canadian ones">) and their research has shown that things are <"very different from the traditional view of cycling">.

Have a look at <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">, this is what Dr Newton said

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the info, your posts and referenced materials have been extremely useful.

And yes I used APT start, but I did initially order API quick start which I have returned. (The names are a little confusing).

I also could have mentioned I don’t really have access to any used filter media etc hence why I went for the APT product.

What I have found is that there is a lot of opinions/info/methods available and it’s easy to get them mixed up. This forum is extremely helpful

Back