• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time crystals

Aqua360

Hi all,

So I'm getting ready to venture into keep crystal red shrimp, and wanted to ask some quite noisy questions. The plan is to have the tank cycled with dechlorinated tap water; then to test the total dissolved solids, and water change with RO water until it's down at an acceptable level.

This is where I'm a bit confused though, let's say the total dissolved solids are really quite low; what is considered low, and do you then add the reminersalising agent such as salty shrimp, to bring it up to what level?

I plan on using JBL scape soil to lower the pH to make things more acidic around 6ph, am I right in assuming this is the preferred pH for crystals?

The other thing is, I have Kh and Gh tests from Maidenhead; but as confusing as they are, what sort of levels should I be striving for here, can I ignore these if I'm using RO water? Not to be ignorant, just confused!

I'll continue researching of course, just thought I'd ask here for clarification if possible :)

Cheers

For crs all that u need its

Ro and salty shrimp gh+ mineral.
substrate soil

Water parameters
Gh 5-6
kh 0-1 . its beter with 0
tds 120-130 ppm
temp 22-26
ph 6-6.4
The key is the stable tank....
They dont like nitrates, when nitrates going up , u ll see that shrimp not moves..

nice info thanks nicpapa, as someone who's about to do the same, I've learned they are quite fussy about the conditions.

Do you have any recommendations on what minerals/additives to include when laying the substrate?
and on Substrate would you say ADA Aquasoil or Dennerle Shrimp king active soil? Honestly I don't see much difference between them right down to the aesthetics.

nice info thanks nicpapa, as someone who's about to do the same, I've learned they are quite fussy about the conditions.

Do you have any recommendations on what minerals/additives to include when laying the substrate?
and on Substrate would you say ADA Aquasoil or Dennerle Shrimp king active soil? Honestly I don't see much difference between them right down to the aesthetics.
Yes they dont like big diferences in water parameters.
Ι dont use any minerals under substrate...
for substrate i use for years akadama... the good with this one is that if ph increase , you can add some, it dont make nh3 like ada, and it keep alive 1.5-2 years.
I never try anything else... but i saw most people use ada...

I have used ada amazonia and Africana and environment soil when keeping crs and shadow shrimp with great success.
Aqua 360 I used to use tap water and salty shrimp to bring it up to necessary tds but now use rainwater or ro as you have no idea what is actually making up the tds of the tap water.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have used ada amazonia and Africana and environment soil when keeping crs and shadow shrimp with great success.
Aqua 360 I used to use tap water and salty shrimp to bring it up to necessary tds but now use rainwater or ro as you have no idea what is actually making up the tds of the tap water.

do you have a TDS meter? I just bought one from ebay, but i reckon it's either faulty or fake :( i get a reading of 036 on RO water from maidenhead aquatics, 058 out of the tap, which makes me question it's validity

My tap here is 76. The ro from Maidenhead might be 36. You can buy calibration fluid but I've never found the meters inaccurate.

do you have a TDS meter? I just bought one from ebay, but i reckon it's either faulty or fake :( i get a reading of 036 on RO water from maidenhead aquatics, 058 out of the tap, which makes me question it's validity
Just check distilled water to double check.

Your aquarium shops RO membranes probably needs to be changed.

Just check distilled water to double check.

Your aquarium shops RO membranes probably needs to be changed.

does the RO water need to be <10ppm as a base, or would such a value as 036 be workable, if I then raised it to the required level? I'm conscious of the unknown minerals mentioned above

does the RO water need to be <10ppm as a base, or would such a value as 036 be workable, if I then raised it to the required level? I'm conscious of the unknown minerals mentioned above
I think it's workable although you may want to dechlorinate just in case. Just use prime.

I've just checked the ro I picked up from my lfs yesterday and it is 68! I'm not that happy as my tap is 78...I'd expect ro to be less than 10.

I've just checked the ro I picked up from my lfs yesterday and it is 68! I'm not that happy as my tap is 78...I'd expect ro to be less than 10.

tbh for planted tanks it shouldn't matter. For marine, I would not be using that LFS. :p

It is for my shrimp tank so it does matter lol

quite worrying, that its that "high", as you said; 68 seems a bit extreme! Do you not always measure it to reach the desired TDS? or do you add some then test it?

Oh oops! Better have a word to the LFS. Otherwise you will need to invest in a RO/DI system perhaps.

it's situations like that which make me wish I had my own system, I don't own my property though; so I can't do anything with water lines to tee off etc :(

I have spoken to the lfs and I think there is a problem with their ro unit. I've never used ro before. I always use a tds meter to achieve the correct tds, adding and testing the water until it is right.

it's situations like that which make me wish I had my own system, I don't own my property though; so I can't do anything with water lines to tee off etc :(

You can set up an RO unit to run of a hose pipe / washing machine tap so no permanent plumbing needed. This is what I do.
There is a really good You Tube video on this but I cannot link to it whilst at work.

I have spoken to the lfs and I think there is a problem with their ro unit. I've never used ro before. I always use a tds meter to achieve the correct tds, adding and testing the water until it is right.

wow, I'd always assumed you'd used RO...

I use rain water. I ran out though so went to lfs for ro..

Back