• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Planted Tank - High Tech

Dan Wiggett

Well, I keep marine but i'm in the process of selling it all and going for the planted tank...

Here's what it used to look like!

wp000315n.jpg

From this set-up I am going to keep my dosing unit for dosing Micro and Macro. I am going to buy a JBL Proflora u402 co2 kit in the next couple of day.
My substrate will be JBL Aquabasis plus with JBL Manado on top and a rockery divider at the front with sand to give a beach effect. Most of my equipment will be in my sump so it will give the clean look.
I am also aware of the Co2 loss due to the sump so will OD a little.
I am also running a dimmable ATI 6x24w unit so I will have to strip out my marine tubes and replace them with something suitable.

Here are my plans!

wp000393t.jpg

If there is anything I am missing then please post

Just bought a load of slate, smashed it up with a mallet into really nice pieces.

I shall start the tank on Monday, hoping to sell the rest of my livestock by then so will update with pics when I have them :)

The coral sand will buffer your PH as will the slate more than likely, between then you may end up with a PH of 8.4+, not really ideal for planted and shrimps.

I am having PH issues with my tank that I am cycling now because of slate lol

Also I would run the tank empty for a week or two checking the salinity as there will be salt build up in the pipe work that you do not want with a planted tank and will need to get rid of.

Danny said:
The coral sand will buffer your PH as will the slate more than likely, between then you may end up with a PH of 8.4+, not really ideal for planted and shrimps.

I am having PH issues with my tank that I am cycling now because of slate lol
Hi mate, I am not running coral sand, i'm using really fine white sand. Be assured everything will be really clean and I will check salanity just incase ;)

Plans look good, wish I had planned ahead. Looks like a nice tank too, shall be following this :)

meejo said:
Plans look good, wish I had planned ahead. Looks like a nice tank too, shall be following this :)
Thanks mate ;)

I hope I can replicate what is in my head!

I have just come back from the olympics, so its a late post. I have bought a few items this morning-

wp000402.jpg

Tomorrow I have to drain the tank, then refill, than drain again, make eggcrate barriers and co2 kit holder, change my bulbs over, order plants and have a real good deep clean :lol:

Cleaning day -

I have ordered my plants- 4 varieties to make it simple-

Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Echinodorus Tenellus
Blyxa Japonica
Eleocharis Vivipara

Cost me around £80 but no shops in my area do any nice plants :(

I have decided on a pair of Farlowella Catfish whenn my tanks is ready for them. I have seen some in the local MA going for £100 :)

wp000400.jpg

wp000401w.jpg

I am still undecided on what else to put in my tank. Thinking 3 varieties of fish, maybe Black Harlequins, Diamond headed neons and cardinals?
Also I want some Zebra Otos
Really have no idea on shrimps however...

darren636 said:
goo luck with those !
Zebra Otos?

Had a hard day cleaning, it's all now finally done! Tomorrow I shall start Aquascaping and then planting on Tuesday!

wp000422.jpg

All nice and clean :D

Looking good, exiting times ahead :)

Ady34 said:
Looking good, exiting times ahead :)
Thanks mate, lets hope it turns out how I planned it!
darren636 said:
darren636 said:
goo luck with those !
i meant the whiptails. Tank looks good
Ah fair enough, i've read a fair bit about them, although I won't have any bogwood, there are certain JBL pleco tabs that have wood in so hopefully that will be enough. The tank at the store with the Whiptails in don't have any bogwood anyways.
pariahrob said:
The best bit is about to start! This should turn out to be a fantastic scape. Your plans look great!
Cheers :) I'm glad I planned it and got it all sorted before I tried to put it together.

Just been offered a pair of Zebra Plecs... I have no idea what to do... Get the Royal Whiptails or Get the Zebras... They work out around the same price too!

somethingfishy said:
Zebra plecs are stunning .. but they do like to bury themselves in sand!
I am off to see them next Wednesday. I shall reserve them till my tank is ready. I LOVE my Aquascaping, too late for a picture but shall upload one tomorrow.

I have decided to scrap the sand idea. It mixes with the substrate too easily, even with dividers!

Not the finished article but i'm not far off, I need more substrate so i'm off to the shop in a few mins.

Hopefully the plants will start arriving today, I am hoping my EI salts, plants, scissors and tongs will also come today! Postman is ALWAYS late though : /

Have loads of messing around in the sump to do too... Busy day!

wp000432.jpg

^Subject to change^

Back