• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter outlet type - Lily Pipe, Spray Bar, Wide Jet

I haven found a really conclusive guide to the different outlet type with pros and cons.

I notice George Farmer has open pipes on his latest tanks with the outlet sitting quite low in the tank. any idea why and how this differs from a spraybar or wide jet (duckbill).

Any particular tank scape any of these are particularly suited to.

All experience and comments welcome.

I don't think there are any pros and cons as such. How you get decent flow around the tank is whatever works for you. The use of lilly pipes etc is probably more to do with the fact they look nice and less obtrusive in the aquarium. The only advantage I can think of with them is the ability to raise them above the water surface when needs be to help break up and scum on there and help with oxygen overnight whereas with spray bars it would be a bit of a pain although lowering water level by removing water is an option but again, a bit of a pain every night. Most will use a small secondary surface filter and just switch it on over night or just an airstone would do for same effect.

Back